Note to New Members ×

Hardboots in Sportube?

trikerdad

Am thinking about ordering a Sportube for SES 05 and am wondering if my 29.5 boots will fit in one. From the pictures on their site, it looks like it would be tight. Can anybody tell me? Will probably order one anyway, but it would be nice to know. They only show one model for snowboards, it's called a "Series 3' and holds 2 boards.

Guest Randy S.

Their snowboard version should hold way more than 2 boards, if you take the bindings off. Keep in mind though that its a bit short. The Double ski version is longer, but narrower (probably won't hold wide pow boards or freestyle boards.

I doubt you'd get boots in there too. I haven't tried, but just looking at them, I doubt it. Plus, you should carry your boots on the plane with you. That way if United loses your luggage, at least you only need to scare up bindings and a board (which would be easy at SES).

Well I have a snowboard one from a few years ago and it fits two boards plus boots & stuff easily, a third board also at a push.

Mine came with a lock which your TSA people will chop; I replaced mine with a pin and circlip of which I carry a spare.

The baggage handlers won't take the thing if you put more than 32Kgs in there. They will bang the corners in a bit but that doesn't seem to matter.

Old Burton Wheely cases, of which I have about 5, are good for lining garage walls so you don't bang your car doors into them. They're bog-all use for serious travel - they always fail at some god-awful airport like SFO where they charge you for the baggage trollies...

As far as boots in hand baggage is concerned, I've heard that said (the heli operators used to recommend it) but I don't think it's practical. Many countries are fairly sensitive about hand-baggage allowance, which is often about 6kgs plus sttrict dimension limts. It is a pain when some crappy airline delays your boards, but that's the way it goes. It happened to me last year - I had to ride on crappy soft hire gear and borrowed clothes for a day - but you have to take stuff like that. Well you do if you fly united.

I ALWAYS carry my boots on!! I've never had a problem with it, and I fly with snowboard gear multiple time a winter. Of course you have to limit what else you carry on, but I pack them in a back pack that fits within their specified size for carry on item, I've never heard of an airline enforcing a weight limit on carry on items only size limits. How would an airline know how much your carry on weights anyway? Trust me carry on your boots, boards and bindings are easy to bum off your friends, boots are not. Another plus is taking your boots out of your checked luggage takes some weight out of what your checking in so your less likely to get dinged for an overweight baggage charge.

I've never flown with my snowboard gear before but I did forget my boots on a trip to Bachelor one year. Lost a whole day hitting all the shops looking for a replacement pair and ended up paying top dollar for a pair of 123's. The boots were the right size but the liners were too tight and I had to buy a pair of thermos and have them fitted. I could hardly afford to eat after that. I have to admit though, my wife was great through the whole ordeal. My scuba instructor taught me years ago that before you pack you build your 'little man' on the floor, with all his gear, to make sure you don't forget anything. It works for snowboarding as well.

Ski Equipment

Northwest accepts on item of ski equipment as checked luggage only. Ski equipment is not permitted as carry on luggage.

An item of ski equipment consists of:

1 ski bag and 1 ski boot bag containing skis, poles, bindings and

1 pair of water skis

1 snowboard

Additional ski and boot bags will be subject to normal excess charges.

Hard shell cases are recommended when checking your ski equipment. A liability release form must be signed for plastic/soft ski bags.

Note: When travel is wholly within/between the US/Canada, Northwest will allow the ski/boot bag to contain more than one pair of skis/boots - but if the bag exceeds published weight restrictions (50 lbs.) normal excess charges will apply.