Note to New Members ×

snowbasin on friday- recs for trails?

FTA2R

i'll be in for a wedding that is replacing a rehearsal dinner with snowboarding and a 24 person slopeside condo - how cool!

was at snowbasin years ago...and only remember the lodge as being the nicest i've ever been in.

recs for trails? i'll have my soft setup with me and usually stay on blues....i'm cool with bowls and some bumpy stuff.

i'd prefer powder mtn (love that resort) but it's not "nice enough" apparently for some of the crew. i think it's greatness.

I bet you have a great time!

Was just riding the lift here in Sun Valley with a friend who was over at Snow Basin last week. He had a great time - new snow and great conditions (he did say it was kinda busy on the weekend).

We have enjoyed Snow Basin a lot on our trips there. The mountain is fun. We found the most challenging terrain up higher on the mountain. Mid mountain is a lot of intermediate terrain, and the lower portions include some long beginner runs back to the lifts. The mountain includes a great variety of terrain and experiences. There are some places where you can get stalled out because you didn't kn ow you need to carry speed to get to the next area. If its good visibility this is less of a challenge.

Hope you have a great trip. We want to head back there again. Last season we went over after the lifts closed for the season here. We hit a big storm and had a blast:D

link to trail map/web site: http://www.snowbasin.com/images/trail_maps/mtn_trail_map_w.jpghttp://www.snowbasin.com/images/trail_maps/mtn_trail_map_w.jpg

Oh yea, recommendations for trails:

You'll be approaching from the parking area to the base lodges at the bottom of Needles Express Gondola. You can take this Gondola as a way to get started. Really lovely ride up, especially as you approach the top - you go next to some nice bands of rock/cliffs, then get deposited at another stunning lodge. There is a map as you get off the lifts and often a courtesy patrol hanging out there giving suggestions for good runs for differing abilities.

Looking at the mountain from the bottom - looking to right - John Paul high speed Quad - takes you to great terrain, freshies, trees, open glades. When you get low and want to get back to the chair it can get interesting. Sort of some terrain to get back over to get to the chair, but just follow the tracks of others - no porblem.

Also on the right looking up - further right - if you want an adreniline rush, take the top gondola if it is running -= the Allen Peak Tram. Takes you to the top of the mens downhill start. Sure to have you giving props to the guys who race this face. From the top of the tram you can get over to the shooting star/no name area - incredible bowls/powder runs.

The other side of the mountain is accessed by Strawberry Gondola - tons of great intermediate cruizing and other stuff I have'nt discovered yet,.

Great facilities and lifts and a super mountain.