Note to New Members ×

What do you do when it's raining on the mtn?

ak_rider

LOLz @ ALLEE's reply :biggthump

I've been really lucky this year, and NOT had any of those days.

Usualy I always am the unlucky guy who is given a lesson to teach in said downpour....

why? because I made the mistake of voicing a comment about "any day on the snow is better than a day in the kitchen even if it is pouring rain!" ....without realizing how hard it was raining one day. My coworkers lovingly cant wait to re-iterate this in unison when the time is appropriate.

If not working and get caught in a downpour, I take a nap in the car. love sleeping and listening to it beat on the roof.

Raining in Bird Creek?....THIS time a year?? You talkin' Bird...near Portage, yeah? The funky Bird bar that burned down n all that? Turnagain Arm? Or maybe I'm ripped and there's a Bird Creek in SE, where it DOES rain pretty much ALL the time...like near that ski area in Juneau...'Eaglecrest'....ha ha. JUST KIDDING!!. There ARE some pretty funky inversions that come in off the north pacific...pressure systems lofting in from the south like some sort of hi-jacker. I've seen rain in Anch in January....and RAINED OUT Fur Rondys!!! And iditarod starting lines where they've had to haul snow by the truckload from Fort Richardson. I figure you gotta be talking bout sometime last year, though. I haven't popped yer vid yet, 'cause my vid driver is on the fritz until I d/l a new driver.

Where do you ride? If you carve, you're pretty much limited to Alyeska, but have you ever freeridden Tin Can Alley and all the stomp trails that are EVERYWHERE there? I usually head to Hatcher Pass in the spring, usually by snowmachine...or with one of my Healy friends that has Matt Tracks on his rig. But if you want a place that is easy to get to, Pioneer Peak in the mat-su is a GREAT place to freeride!!! The way the ascent route is situated, avalanche danger is fairly remote, 'cept for one segment below one sketchy cornice. A LOT of good places near Bridal Veil Falls on the way down to Valdez....LOTS of avalanche danger THERE, though!!

Cool thing about AK is that there are mountains pretty much EVERYWHERE you look...unless you happen to be stuck in Nome like I was one winter, doing winter red king crab biological survey work on the ice. I am usually lucky enough to bring my board and stomp gear when we do remote wildlife surveys...depending how much gear our Otter is taking at the time. My favorite time was a contract in the Brooks Range near Anaktuvuk Pass...best place in the world to ride!!!...unnamed peaks EVERYWHERE. Hard to get to...even harder to get UP!!! Enjoy your AK riding...it's truly like no where else...well, the Yukon Territory is no slouch either, actually. :) I've got a chance to do a study in Greenland, though...and if so, I'll DEFINITELY take my board THERE...even if they have to mail-drop it!! :) I'll just call it "necessary scientific equipment"...ha ha.

Gravity IS Life.

yup, was a race participant. super-fun.

@AK rover-yes, bird creek north of portage, but i don't know why you're surprised that it rains here. Alyeska is in a rain forrest, and as the crow flies, I only live a few miles away. It rains all the time in this area, plus it's an el nino year, which means more rain than usual.

I've ridden the places you mention. Too many people and too many snowmachines. I prefer my secluded spots.

yup, was a race participant. super-fun.

@AK rover-yes, bird creek north of portage, but i don't know why you're surprised that it rains here. Alyeska is in a rain forrest, and as the crow flies, I only live a few miles away. It rains all the time in this area, plus it's an el nino year, which means more rain than usual.

I've ridden the places you mention. Too many people and too many snowmachines. I prefer my secluded spots.

I was just kidding about the rain, of course. I used to live on the Kenai Peninsula in Homer and then moved across to Seldovia, so I know about the rain...ha ha. Not nearly as much rain as Valdez, though!

About Girdwood being in a rainforest: while a very few boreal scientists DO consider that area to be a rainforest, I think they do so erroneously, as most boreal scientists limit the Chugach temperate seasonal rainforest as encompassing Prince William Sound, including Seward and parts of the southern tip of the Kenai, but NOT extending up the eastern side of Cook Inlet, nor ANY part of Turnagain Arm...indeed MOST of the Kenai biome is NOT considered temperate rainforest. There IS a patch of Sub-Polar Rain Forest on the WESTERN shore of Cook Inlet...just not the eastern shore.

Now, that's not to say it doesn't rain cats and dogs in Girdwood, as it DOES (more dogs than cats there!)...but Rain Forest is a technical term.

As for the areas of Hatcher Pass and Tin Can Alley being crowded, yeah, it CAN get crowded, if you consider 15 people a crowd (I often do!). I mostly go those places on the weekdays when the anchorage and Wasilla weekend warrior snowmachiners are safely in their offices...those places are usually quite vacant during the weekdays. If I REALLY want to get away from crowds, I'll either head to the St. Elias Range in the Yukon, or the mountains directly west of Tazlina Lake in the Chugach (south west of Copper Center), That area is heaven!! Too many people on Turnagain Arm for me..ha ha. I used to like Girdwood alot 10 years ago...can't say I like what they're doing to it now at ALL, though. The dang developers from the "states", don't seem to know they're destroying a beautiful place.

Gravity IS Life.