Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Mini Session May 21-23???

Sinecure

A bunch of skiers I know are going to be there then. I'll be bringing some carving boards along with my skis for sure. Anyone else want to make a mini carving session at Mammoth into a long weekend? Should be great weather, plenty of snow and lots of fun.

Who's in?

Yes, maggots. And Masterofgreenbeans has promised to show up with large quantities of amazing bacon. :biggthump

Fort FKNA will be rockin', although I'm thinking of staying indoors this time around. We'll see. Not sure if I'm bringing the kids or not.

For those of you who have change for a nickel, there's a thread about this over on TGR.

• 2 weeks later...

I used that beanie the other day as a hat instead of a glove. Also happened across a picture of me with the cast on my hand and the beanie covering it.

SNBA, Can't make the March dates. Taking the kids to FL to see grandparents for birthdays and passover. Plus I usually only make it to Mammy in the spring once the Tahoe resorts close. The June SNES sounds fun though.

I'll probably do a backcountry day up around Tioga or Virginia Lakes that weekend if anyone is interested.

Loc, spring morning riding rules! And afternoons are for drinks, food, herbs and naps.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I probably shouldn't speak too soon, but so far I'm still in one piece this season. Hopefully I can stay healthy through the end of May. I'm still planning to be at Mammoth that weekend. I found two free tickets. So at least two days in-bounds and hopefully at least one, maybe two backcountry days. Anyone coming that has a truck capable of getting us up to the beginning/hike to bloody couloir - I've seen it a bunch of times and would really like to get up there. And maybe a day at Tioga or Virginia Lakes? Tioga has stuff that's an easy boot-pack from the car. Ginny lakes is more of a skin/hike in.

Thomas, get in touch as the time gets closer. There'll definitely be good opportunities for a bc noob. The snow is usually ultra stable by then and there are routes to choose that don't require skins if people don't have them.

The truck thing is for Bloody Couloir only. If somebody has a high clearance 4WD, you can cut out a ton of hiking and get right to the base of the snow and then climb a fairly easy shoulder route to the top. Plus ski/ride almost back to the truck.

It is also looking like there's going to be plenty of naked hot-springing during the weekend. One of the ladies has agreed to coordinate that.

Thomas, get in touch as the time gets closer. There'll definitely be good opportunities for a bc noob. The snow is usually ultra stable by then and there are routes to choose that don't require skins if people don't have them.

Sounds good. I have no free tickets, but a season pass and the "bring a friend program" has no blackout days after April 19. The reduced price is $55 for a single day ticket.

- Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple weeks away. Contrary to slopetool's other thread, the So-Cal season is far from over.

It looks like I'll be down there on Thursday night (5/20) and leaving either Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon. Probably driving with some friends from the Bay Area and renting a condo for the weekend. Most likely will have room in the condo if anyone wants to join / pitch in. Still considering camping too, but not sure. Much easier to pack if I stay in a condo.

I'm thinking of going to Tioga Pass or Virginia Lakes on Friday for some backcountry goodness. Tioga is a boot pack in, Ginny lakes is a skin or a snowshoe in. I have spare snowshoes if anyone wants. The corn should be delicious by then.

Just a couple weeks away. Contrary to slopetool's other thread, the So-Cal season is far from over.

It looks like I'll be down there on Thursday night (5/20) and leaving either Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon. Probably driving with some friends from the Bay Area and renting a condo for the weekend. Most likely will have room in the condo if anyone wants to join / pitch in. Still considering camping too, but not sure. Much easier to pack if I stay in a condo.

I'm thinking of going to Tioga Pass or Virginia Lakes on Friday for some backcountry goodness. Tioga is a boot pack in, Ginny lakes is a skin or a snowshoe in. I have spare snowshoes if anyone wants. The corn should be delicious by then.

"Slopetool!?" WTF? Here in the Southern California area/not including Mammoth. this Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the last for Mt Baldy. Hopefully You were not being "Sin-secure" with yourself by making a Jab at me. I have made some good friends here and my carving ability speaks for itself...I don't know you and you obviously don't know me. Not that we shouldn't. Certainly not a tool...:AR15firinThanks for that. Save it for TGR's site.

He might have just made a simple mistake. There is another BOL user on here who does have the nickname of slopetool.

BTW, according to Fin, Mammoth is considered a southern California resort. I know geographically it may not be though.

He might have just made a simple mistake. There is another BOL user on here who does have the nickname of slopetool.

BTW, according to Fin, Mammoth is considered a southern California resort. I know geographically it may not be though.

found him...

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=274

Fin is a liar. JK. If a six hour drive from Hell-A is considered So-Cal then Tahoe must be in The Pacific Northwest...

So who is going to be there next weekend? Should I bother with bringing snowboarding gear, of will I be the only carver - in which case I'll probably only schlep my skis and leave boards at home.

I've rented a condo for the weekend that has a few spare beds in it. Would love to have a couple more people kick in a few $$ toward the cost. Let me know. It is in Mountain Shadows, right near Robertos and Looney Bean - my favorite coffee in Mammy.