Note to New Members ×

F2 boards, different years, asymmetric?

Varis

Are the current F2 boards asymmetric - eg. Silberpfeil and Speedster SL - they sure look like that on their site? Did F2 switch to asymmetric at some point - I hear some of their boards from the early years of the millenium are symmetric?

Are there nowadays any other manufacturers that make asymmetric boards - I figured those have fallen out of fashion, maybe due to the smaller(?) size of the sport nowadays?

Has there been lots of changes to the mentioned F2 boards during the recent decade? F2 has gone back to using metal during this time, which is a fairly major change. What is the community impression about how the current F2 boards ride, in comparison to say models from 2002 or so - I'd imagine the use of metal at least would be seen as a significant improvement?

F2 hasn't made an assymetric board in about 12 years AFAIK

there are a couple of specialty manufacturers that still have (or had very recently) asyms in their lineups, but they are the rare exceptions. Read some of Jack Michaud's articles on the welcome page to see what happenned to asyms.

As for board construction, there have been amazing improvements in the past couple of years. Metal construction and variable sidecuts are the two that stand out.

Welcome to BOL - look around a bit as there is a ton of information on these subjects.

Ah right - their marketing dept. was hard at work making the products look like 'the oldskool real race boards'. Fooled me for a bit ;) I'll check out some of those articles - seems there's quite a few!

So if you are shopping for used boards, you can expect to pay a mere bargain price for anything pre-metal, and you can expect to receive even less if you try and sell it some 1-2 years down the line? (Hope this is not too off-topic for this particular forum already ;))

price varies greatly depending on the board and what you do to it while in your posession, I've broken even on quite a few boards after a season, and I've trashed a few and sold them for nothing. Average quality non-metal boards are routinely sold in the $300 range here...browse the classifieds.

• 2 years later...

I rode a borrowed glass F2 Speedster 186 last year for about 6 weeks. It was probably a 2003 or 2004 according to the owner, definitely not an asym. Great board. Damp, smooth, & forgiving. It did well through the gates, too. Owner sold it for $200 to someone else who saw me out riding it. If you can pick one of those up for $200-$300, get it.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a F2 Eliminator for free riding and boardercross.

I have only rode it with soft boots and it was completely fine. I could still turn the board and ride well. However, I did crush the boots when I would turn. Especially on toe sides. I added a tongue stiffener which did help a little bit until I got used to it again.

You could put hard boots on it if you are just starting out on hard boots and then transition to an alpine board after you get used to it.

Hope this helps.