Note to New Members ×

Who cheats? (boot bios)

RideGuy

Right now I'm running angles 50/55. 50 is the lowest I can go without getting too much over hang. I am so tempted to cheat and move the boot further to the heal side of the board but I'm already cheating by a few mm. I'm basing this measurement off of the line on the bottom of my Suzukas.

Who cheats? How far off center do you go?

My Prior 4WD has a waist of 214, and I wear MP25 boots. So I can go 20° if I want (and I've done it!).
That's surprising. I wear MP26 boots and I can only go as low as 50 degrees on my 4WD before I get overhang. I use 54/51 on that board.

My custom 4WD is 23 wide and the lowest I can go is 35/45 and that's with more boot over hang then I would tolerate on my FLC. MP27 boots.

Back on topic:

I always set my rear binding about 5mm off center toward the heelside edge, Just feels better that way.

BobD

I guess I should just try cheating the boots to the heel side and see how it feels. I don't think I need that much more to make it to 45 on the back foot.

I start from the proposition that my boots have to have the lowest angles possible without overhang and still be centred over the board, so I have some binding bias to one side or the other on both feet (don't know how much, I just sharpied it on the F2 plate).

But I've always wondered whether it's better to cheat with the binding plate, or the binding bails. For example, you might be able to centre the binding and then move the bails as far "back" as you can, which would move your boot to the heel edge. Or you could just centre the boot on the binding, and move the binding towards the heel.

Many years ago I played around with it for a few days, and thought I did notice some sort of difference in the ride between the two approaches. But I couldn't put my finger on what the difference was or if it was good or bad, so I just said screw it and haven't worried about it since.

greg

I don't think that's called "cheating". I think it's called "adjustability". ;)

My rear boot has more bias toward the rear of the binding in part due to the fact that I've had the boots punched out (I have wide feet).

I use the bias of the boot on the binding to get the toe and heel right over their edges.

It's the same type of adjustment that you would make on a soft binding with the heel cup. Adjusting the position of the heel cup will adjust the bias of the boot over the board and allow you to position the toe and heel the same distance from their edges.