Note to New Members ×

New to the carving scene! looking for a set up

JJL-Z33

This forum is awsome! Been reading a lot since NON of my friends are into going fast and carving. Comming from the drift scene carving caught my eye and I love going fast sideways.

quick vid of me and friends (im the first car) resemble alpine carving a bit yea? lol

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/blu2fourty/?action=view&current=MOV00964.flv

I just started snowboarding few months ago but learned fairly quickly. As my board was good learner board (some 157 regular board i got at the snowboard show) i want to get to the good stuff now.

i'm 6' 185lbs size 11. whats a good size board to go with? i'll still be working on my skills this year obviously as i am no where near pro but i'm looking for a set up fpr next year to really get better, faster and carve harder.

i'm pretty much dead set on working my way up to a kessler board (which is how i found the forums by googling it)

any input would be great

thanks,

Jon

for drifting...hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KIfgDSYPqw

this is a carved turn where you distort the sidecut to stretch the drift. :44 on.

a kessler is likely a lot of board for you... I just rode the 163 BX (liked it a lot) and the 168 (super ridiculously fast).

I also bought a 185 PGS which I would sell as I feel I should be a bit bigger for it. I'll likely buy a smaller one. I'm 165lbs 5'10" but I have a lot of riding experience over the years. If you want mine which has about 20-25 runs on I'll sell if for $1250. It might be an expensive lesson for you..... as it could be for me if I don't sell it....the likelyhood that you would be able to mage a deck like this... not so good. I'd start with something easy like an older carving board from the mid 1990's that is softer flexing and forgiving...and cheap...like under $75 cheap. my 2 cents...

But you will learn faster if you can "override" the board instead of the board overriding you.

If you send me a video of your riding I might be able to spec a board for your riding level and Kessler will custom make it for you and turn it around in as little as a week. I just spec'd a custom Kessler for BX for myself. Those run about $1900....but hey thats just 2- 4 sets of tires for guys like you..... you could chew those up in a weekend.

We don't drift at all when carving... only when skidding and carving at the same time.

Check out the Swoard videos too.

nice vid. I just want to go faster but still be in control. i'll try and get some vid of me riding since i'm going on this weekend agian to try out a bigger board then my current 157cm.

if i'm going to blow over 1k i would prefer to put it towards a kessler as that board has something that makes me want to be able to ride it. i'm sure i'm not ready for it now so i'll end up looking for something a bit more easier to ride. and like drifting you got your training/daily tires and your real sticky competition tire set ups. i'm just egar to hop on the high end stuff but its good motovation to get better fast.

heres a link to the super long drift vid on youtube if that link i posted is unsafe (which was direct link to my photobucket)

at 5:35 the good stuff

mybe a really noob question but are ski boots the same as snowboarding hard boots? any slight difference? anything in particular i should look for in a boot? i want to buy my boots before buying the board/bindings

Jon

Ski boots are quite a bit stiffer. It's do-able, but not something I'd recommend for a first-timer, as the stiffness of the boots might be a big enough drawback to turn you off of what would otherwise be fun.

I suggest watching the classifieds here at Bomber and getting a used setup. I've bought a few boards that way myself, just because there are so many good deals.

Believe it or Not, you are living in the middle of one of the biggest hardbooter rider areas in North America. Right here in Southern Ontario you have all the gear at YYZCANUCK, custom boards at Coiler, and 3 of the 4 National Team riders are from here. Last time I was in Squire Johns ski shop in Collingwood they had Prior boards Bomber Bindings, and Deeluxe boots in stock.( Can somone confirm?). You will find Plate Riders at Mount St. Louis Moonstone, Ostler Bluff, Blue Mtn, and large groups at Beaver Valley and the Ontario Alpine Team trains at Mansfield. Brimacombe has 25 or more riders, a race team for the young ones, and a demo program <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Douglas/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:inherit; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:auto; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:20.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:inherit; mso-font-kerning:0pt; font-weight:normal;} span.yshortcuts {mso-style-name:yshortcuts;} span.statusbody {mso-style-name:status_body;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>courtesy of YYZCANUCK.

The AOS ( http://www.ontariosnowboarders.ca/ ) put on a race series, the Ontario Championships are at MSLM Saturday March 6, and you can run USASA at Hollymont just south of Buffalo.

I would suggest that you Demo first, then think about what you want. You may indeed work your way up to a Kessler, but I don't think you would like it for learning!!