Note to New Members ×

Let me ask another question...

Jeffrey Day

...that I'm sure has been asked before!

What does everyone think is the best senerio: Riding a stiffer board in softer snow & a softer board on firmer/icier snow conditions?

Or vice versa.

I'm thinking a person would want a stiffer board on soft snow as too not fold the nose & go head over tea-kettle.

And a softer board as the snow becomes razorblade corduory and/or icy to allow you to flex the board a little easier for more edge hold.

What do you think, am I way off base here?

It's pretty much what I've read here previously, but there's some things to add to that:

For soft snow, it's good to have a board that is stiff in the soft end of the spectrum, because a too stiff board in soft snow will not even bend to make turns and will just want to go straight.

The opposite is true for hard snow/ice. It has to be a board that is soft in the stiff end of the spectrum, as a too soft board will not hold it's edge and just wash out.

That's why freeride/powder board are still softer than freecarve/race boards.

At least it's what I understood, someone with more experience may want to add other comments to that.

really soft snow(slush or first groom after a big dump) but keep in mind I weigh 250 or so

in everyday conditions a board that is too stiff really is a pain in the ass

a board that is too soft if useless to try to carve on at speed but works if you are carful and dont go too fast and stay off the nose