Note to New Members ×

General help with boots.

Micamack

I get shin bang SO CRUCIALLY. I'm actually a skier but saw some helpful advice so far on this site, so thought I would give it a try.

I ski every weekend Friday night / Saturday all day / Sunday morning. EVERY weekend. USUALLY by lunch time Saturday my shin is aching in pain and makes me not want to ski the rest of the weekend. But i suffer through it... As the weeks pass by in the winter.... the shin bang pain builds up. usually near the end of the season I have to call it quits early.

I have very thick muscular calves (bigger set rider). and below my calves isnt anything big, just avg / normal size. I wear a big size boot (forget boot size but size 14 shoe)

I currently own Super Charger boots. I can feel where my pain comes from. The tongue presses against the middle of my shin roughly where the bottom half of my calf starts. I feel like if i were to cut the tongue into two parts right at the bend above your ankle (where the tongue levels out to go above your toes and right where it bends up to go in front of my shin. I feel like if i divided it into 2 parts at that point this would go away but that's a big risk to take (financially).

Any advice is helpful...

Brief description else - wise. My boots fit really well in all other appropriate places EXCEPT for the fact I feel like the tongue of my boot is going to snap my shin in half. Wearing my boots tighter or looser... still hurts the same. Have no special risers or anything in the boot except I got it molded to my foot when I bought it. Have had no boot shell work done or anything. (side not I have an extraordinary sized width foot -- 4 E -- but I don't expect that to be causing shin-bang).

Sorry for the wall of text but I will seriously consider pay-pal ' ing whoever can completely solve my problem. I enjoy my skiing way to much to give it up for something like this.

** This is NOT the first boot that has done this massive shin-bang to me**

(seriously think its due to my massive calves... very massive. EX-215lb wrestler. My legs carry a lot of weight around all day long)

-Mica, thank you in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post photos of the following:

Your bare shin with the affected area clearly marked. viewed head on.

A side view of your calf/shin area while standing comfortably in the empty shell (no liner), buckles closed.

Boot cuff contouring aside, many shin bang problems originate with erroneous ski instruction. I.e., you should not need to lean on the front of the boot in order to ski well. Making contact is one thing, making hamburger, another.

Well ill have to get to the pictures at another point tomorrow sometime. But for the mean time is there something u can do in general to fix big calf issues im 99% sure thats the only problem... sorry but boots are 100 miles away til later tomorrow afternoon. Ive gotten multiple ppl in ski shops on the slopes who have all said that was probably my problem but none of them knew how to fix the problem.

A lot of american skiers swear by those things: Shintronics. I have used them for years. Not since I have foamed innerliners (Strolz). Now my son uses them because he is complaining mostly after a few days of skiing in a row. www.shintronic.com

In the beginning your calfs will be fit very closely/neat in your boots. This will disappear after a while. Your lower shins get more room. The pressure will be better divided over your shins.

Cheers, Hans.

I'll post a few photos of one 'big calf' solution, either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks beck. Ya to give u guys an idea my calf from front to back... front of shin to back of calf.... is 2 and a half coke cans. To give u an example..... Was trying to find an everyday home product to relate to

I know this doesn't add to the discussion but WHOA... really WHOA.

Loving the extension and the drills in the background. I've been told I have big legs but... :eek:

Nice work on the boot reconfiguration!

Beckmann AG I want to hear your most difficult stories now... 5'2" Bodybuilder with mondo 24 feet?! :eplus2: Plus (I'll admit it) I like your storytelling style. :biggthump

the one picture with a red circle in the bend in the front of the boot.... thats where my shin generally hurts.. way down there if not lower... the next picture with a red circle around the ankle area.... lately as in just yesterday first time skiing..... my boot is applying pressure on my ankle. could it be that i didnt put the liner back in the boot right, after taking this pcitures? even tho it appears to be seated fine inside the shell of the boot?

these last pictures is me drawing on my leg showing the areas of pain. the middle straight line down my shin is my physical shin to give u an idea.. and the pain hurts around it about as far as the 2 lines on either side and it hurts MOSTLY in the middle of the lines, half way up / half way down however you wanna look at it....

about my ankles the pain is roughly in the area of the 2 circles. somewhere in there, feels like its pressuring crucially on my ankle bone but cant be sure.

it leaves a throbbing painful feeling in my ankle after taking them off.. the ankle pain is more crucial than the shinbang at the moment, I litterally couldnt ski cause the ankle pain yesterday i walked from my house to the slopes (100 feet) and by the time i got there i couldnt stand to walk.

i took my boots off and walked back in my socks through the snow to my house

(THE PAIN IS IN THE INNER ANKLE, not the outer, LEFT FOOT, the foot i took the liner out of the boot for pictures to be taken)

so i just re-read everything i typed and theres way to many grammatical errors, sorry about making you read a crappy written post. thanks in advance for any help / advice though.

-mica

p.s. one more thing the 2 finger rule im not sure if i know clearly how i am supposed to do it but in one of the first pictures shows a aerial picture down into my boot behind my heel. my front big toe is perfectly touching the front of my boot and i can EXACTLY fit 2 of my fingers from heel to heel of boot. duno if i did it correctly or whatnot. but u asked me to do something to that effect.

Looks like you may need to go boot shopping.

PM me your email and I can send you a document with relevant information.

Likely, there are several contributing factors to your discomforts, shell sizing is one of them.

(Contour notwithstanding, the lower shell is too long for your foot.)

Nordica has a habit of slathering the instep area (that of the red circle) with extra plastic contrivances, and those may be contributing to the problem.

That boot appears to be something of an entry level boot, and as such, the plastic will not offer much support, and may simply fold right into your shin.

Even if you are not a performance level skier, a man of your weight would benefit from a stiffer plastic. Better quality plastic is easier to mold, which you will probably need to do with a wide foot. They will last longer however, which will offset the initial cost.

Unfortunately, with a large foot, you options may be limited. On the other hand, you will likely downsize at least one size, so your odds have already improved.

And try to find a shop that actually cares to have your business.

(Making more room for your medial ankle bone/navicular area should take less than 30 minutes).

The two finger rule is only a guideline. I suspect two of your fingers take up way more space than two of mine. In your case, think more along the lines of 15mm or thereabouts.

i just dont see how they are newbie boots. they are rated like #2 ski boot for freestyle skiing. Although the problem may definitiely be the fact about it not fitting my foot right.

the place i got them from does mods to them for free. i took in em today to see what they could do for them.

you need to see a good boot fitter!! And I would suggest dallbello liners or get the blown in foam style. Do that before replacing the shell. You're liners are more than likely the problem. One thing i can say is skiing with the buckles loose makes it worse. I battled shin bang for a long time. Spend the money on you're feet . And definately see a good boot fitter.

MM,

Sorry if accidentally denigrated your boots.

The overall ranking of the boot in the marketplace has not diminished your pain, and such rankings are largely marketing anyway.

Generally, manufacturers only make select models in really large sizes, and those are not often performance models (A freestyle boot is not necessarily built for performance. Top ranked moguls skiers have often used race boots). And I do not mean to imply that you need to spend top dollar on a boot, but you do need a boot that is up to the task at hand.

Boot 'fit' does not sell boots. Perceived comfort sell boots. Available inventory often decides, more so than fit, what boots are sold.

Take solace in the knowledge that many have gone before you, and many more will follow.

Incidentally, the photos I posted were not taken off the internet, they were taken in my shop.

Mica, I see you're local to DC: I highly recommend going to see Brian Eardley at the Ski Center (202) 966-4474 http://www.skicenter.com/ Brian is a really good boot fitter (almost as good as Erik). Make sure you call ahead and make an appointment with Brian - and when you get there, don't let them slough you off on someone else...

MM,

Sorry if accidentally denigrated your boots.

The overall ranking of the boot in the marketplace has not diminished your pain, and such rankings are largely marketing anyway.

Generally, manufacturers only make select models in really large sizes, and those are not often performance models (A freestyle boot is not necessarily built for performance. Top ranked moguls skiers have often used race boots). And I do not mean to imply that you need to spend top dollar on a boot, but you do need a boot that is up to the task at hand.

Boot 'fit' does not sell boots. Perceived comfort sell boots. Available inventory often decides, more so than fit, what boots are sold.

Take solace in the knowledge that many have gone before you, and many more will follow.

Incidentally, the photos I posted were not taken off the internet, they were taken in my shop.

sorry my fault didn't mean to send an angry message your way . just my philosophy on it was that... if i am going to freestyle i need a freestyle boot, and they are rated one of the top freestyle boots. but i guess sizing / fitting has more to do with it, especially with an ab-normal foot.

you need to see a good boot fitter!! And I would suggest dallbello liners or get the blown in foam style. Do that before replacing the shell. You're liners are more than likely the problem. One thing i can say is skiing with the buckles loose makes it worse. I battled shin bang for a long time. Spend the money on you're feet . And definately see a good boot fitter.

i wanted dallbello boots to begin with but the boot i wanted literally does not come in my size :-(