Note to New Members ×

Big Sky / Moonlight Basin - Most weekends

chadx

Are you looking for a big resort type place? If so, Big Sky is probably the closest.... but there are some decent day areas closer...

Great Divide

www.skigd.com

Showdown - I was here a few weeks ago..... not a bad mountain

http://www.showdownmontana.com/

or even Bridger Bowl - never been there, but it's bigger and a little closer than Big Sky

http://www.bridgerbowl.com/

Enjoy!

Big Sky is a 2.5 hour drive from Helena and is the only place we ski and board. That's not only because of the terrain and lack of crowds, but because we have a place to stay in Big Sky and we get season passes there so any days spent at other ski areas cuts into our 'daily average cost' by not using our paid-for season passes.

Unfortunately I've not been to any of the other ski areas that Kinpa noted (which is bad, since we lived in Bozeman for a while and now live in Helena), but I can comment on the one aspect of Great Divide here in Helena since I hear lots of people talking about it. The best advice for there is "bring your rock board".

The base is still advertised as 40" deep, but most people tell me you have to watch for rocks, etc. year round, much less that late in the spring. We do get some snow storms through, but we also have a lot of 50 - 60 degree days by then (just had 4 days of 50+ temps and high winds that melted all the snow piles in town, but the mountains still have quite a bit of snow in them). That time of year, it will really be a timing issue. If a storm just came through, you'll be pretty good. If it's been in the 50s for a week, maybe not so much.

I wish I could comment on if Great Divide has fun carving terrain, but since I've not been there (and couldn't explain what type of terrain we want to most softbooters or skiers), I can't help there.

So, I guess my response if full of no useful information at all, really. :rolleyes: Sorry.

• 2 months later...

We had a great day of powder!!! 8-14 inches of new depending where you were. Not much of a carving day but still a blast. Tomorrow should groom up very nicely, the temps stayed pretty cool.

Looking forward to the gang rallying for another round of fun!!

Who would have thought we could have mid-winter carving conditions at the end of April?!!! Wowee!! Sunshine and nice groomers all day long!

It was great having the Montucky crew all together again. We had such a great time that we are going to do it again tomorrow!

Sunday was an EXCELLENT day of carving!!! Sunshine and super groomers that lasted all day!!! ohhh-so fun!!

Sounds like everyone made it back home safely last night. The Seely/Swan Valley was so heavily laden with deer and elk that is was a very slow trip home, but Johnasmo and I simply slalomed and carved turns through the meat gates..

What a perfect end to the season, Sunshine, Great Groomers, and Excellent Friends!

Thanks to you all!!

Till next season!

I am sure there will be videos to follow from Johnasmo! Stay tuned..

Best Last Day Ever!!!! :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

Thanks guys for the last minute suggestion/invite - really was a fantastic weekend and a spectacular last carving day for the season! Woohooo!!!!

And looking forward to reliving it all summer long with Johnasmo's patented awesome follow cam videos! :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

We must not forget to include that we also got to ride with Cosmic Randy. A super nice fellow, riding the widest Donek Freecarve I have ever seen! But he was a big guy so it fit him well.

Randy if you are out there in BOL land it was great riding with you! Till next season.

Who would have thought that the last day of the season ,,April 24 th,, at Big Sky Mt. would provide THE best day of carving of the season ??? Fantastic time with the Montucky crew, 2 Ravens, Dredman and Johnasmo...and some runs with local carver,,Randy...A great way to end the season,,,Big Sky, Big Mountain, blue sky, great groomers and great friends.. thank you all,,,,