Note to New Members ×

Big Sky / Moonlight Basin - Most weekends

chadx

Thought I'd post up. I'm in Big Sky / Moonlight Basin most weekends. Well, maybe every other this year. Post up if you are going to be around. Better yet, send me an email through Bomber. I often don't receive auto-emails when subscribed to a thread and sometimes don't log in for days and weeks at a time to check.

Hi chadx! Good to hear from you! No, I won't be getting to Big Sky this season, but wish I was. I'm going to be at Whitefish for BMES/WTF. After watching the webcams at Whitefish for a bit I'm thinking to myself 'Why doesn't this happen at Big Sky instead?' Is Bob Jenni and wife still at Big Sky?

Hiya. Sorry you're not going to make it out to Big Sky this year. You could always schedule an extra trip this season! Ha. Glad we hooked up for some runs and Robert could demo you that board. It seemed like it worked well for you. Did it trigger any new gear purchases since then?

They moved up north so don't see them. Too bad. I could usually count on them being on the hill when I showed up.

I have to catch up on the bomber threads and see where all the 'fests are this year and when. Unlikely I'll get to attend any, but you never know. Would be fun and I'm sure it would be a learning event.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Great. Hopefully we'll make it up over that time line and be able to ride together.

If anyone is interested, we rent our 2BR/2BA condo up there, but there are lots of other rentals up there, too. We usually end up staying with some friends up there that we only get to see during the ski season, so end up doing seasonal rentals on our unit. http://www.vrbo.com/109035

Chad, any chance at all you might make it up to Whitefish at the end of January???? It would be great to ride with you and I always have a ton of fun with those guys.... I've made contact with Robert and Lynn and I hope they will come up too.... but they only live half an hour away from me now and I still haven't been able to hook up to ride with them! But..... wouldn't it be fun to all get together at Whitefish???? It's not that far from Helena! I'd love to go to Big Sky sometime but at a 5 hour drive it's a bit much for one day.

Good news - I'm planning an early- or mid-Jan 2011 trip to my friend in Bozeman, MT and would like to hit Big Sky and Moonlight Basin as well as Bridger Bowl which is in his back yard and I found out a friend's parents work at Red Lodge in Billings so I guess I'm heading out that way for a day during the trip. Also, a friend of mine works at Big Sky as a Ski/Board instructor so I hope to meet up with her if she has a moment.

I'm hoping I can just survive out there having just picked up the sport in mid-Feb this year but I'm all over it and trying to fit in a trip to VT next month to sort of prep for that Western stuff. I'll email you here as well.

Kinpa,

I'll have to check my schedule. Is there a session up there then? I haven't been on here much so am out of touch with the upcoming events.

yyz and flash,

I emailed both of you further contact info for myself.

It is dumping like crazy in Montana. Mrs. Chadx and I are heading up to Big Sky this weekend. Not sure if we'll ski and board, but have a few errands and home owners association meetings to attend and will be nice to get away for a long Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks, Chadx. My friend at Big Sky is on Ski Patrol there and loving it though the deep snow makes for interesting progress at times. She says they are thinking they'll be open Turkey Day which will be the earliest ever (I find that hard to believe). My friend in Bozeman says the storms are hit and miss and dump then are clear. Quite a scene up there at -20 F his way. I can't wait to get out there.

Kinpa,

I'll have to check my schedule. Is there a session up there then? I haven't been on here much so am out of touch with the upcoming events.

YES! Look on the main board under WTF (Whitefish Trench Festival)!!!! There are quite a few prominent people on here from the midwest that make the anual trip to Big Mountain. I've gone 3 or 4 times since '05 and always enjoy myself!

I got my first day on snow last Sunday.... for some reason my boots are pinching me at the top and I've got some bruises, and other than being cooooolllllllddddd, it was a fun day!

Kathy

• 1 month later...

chadx - Good news, my plans for the Montana trip might make me hit Big Sky/Moonlight Basin on Sun-Tue (01/23-25) and then head up to Bridger Bowl during the week rather than the reverse. Also, my friend is an Instructor/Guide there and I'm hoping to get an hour or two of her time that Sun or Mon as that would be sweet. I'll have to let you know what the final plans are but I'm trying to get in Sat night and then have 2 solid days and then another half day to full day as an option (depending on how much the place beats me up).

Do you have a smartphone btw?

Heya Flashby,

Sounds good on the trip. We'll play it buy ear and hopefully be able to meet up.

No smartphone, but you can call or text my cell. And just so you know, there is pretty good reception in Big Sky for voice and even better for text. (I think I sent you my number, right?)

You did send your number, yes. With the smartphone you can load an app like Phresheez and track all sorts of fun stuff (and see what other users/friends are close by). Here are some tracks of what I did at Stowe a few weeks back. Fun stuff but really just getting used to it before the Montana trip.

Thanks, I'm really having some fun playing with that app. They only just digitized my local slopes so I was tracking for 3 weeks getting no real results (% Intermediate trails, % Beginner trails, etc.) but now it works.

Here is another track at Seven Springs and the app displays photos you take along the way. I didn't know it did that while replaying the run so didn't do it very much.

The track from Hidden Valley has more photos but I was still testing battery settings on my phone for the app. I need to remember to take a photo of the sign at the start of the day instead of the end of the day - then it makes more sense when watching the replay. This location is not yet digitized so it doesn't know as many fun stats about my runs.

I was actually trying to find some tracks from Big Sky so you would be able to relate to the runs, lifts, speeds, slope steepness, etc. but didn't find one at quick glance. I also don't know if I can share someone else's tracks if they haven't listed it as public. Give me a month and I'll have two days of tracks to view.

• 4 weeks later...

chadx - I'm leaving here in 30 min to head to the airport and arrive at Big Sky tonight around 8 PM local slope time. I'll be on the slopes tomorrow (Sun) as well as Mon. I'll send you a txt or call and see if you are around and have a chance to meet. I am ready for my first taste of some real time stuff.

--Darren

Meeester Darren,

As (un)luck would have it, I won't make it to Big Sky this weekend. We were up last weekend and will be up next week starting Friday...which of course does nothing to get us on the slopes at the same time (unless you'll be there until Friday). I'm bummed the timing didn't work out after all that communication. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Hopefully we'll get to do some runs together sometime. Chad

• 4 weeks later...