Note to New Members ×

I'm totally confused about sizing for boots...

monkeyfarm

I've read all the guides, I've read BOL's store sizing charts, but I'm still confused.

I measured my foot and get 26.8cm. According to BOL I round down to 26.

But that doesn't make any sense to me as I wear 9.5 for like 80% of my shoes & boots with a few 10's.

Everything I see online as far as Mondo->US conversion says that 26 is an 8 and that a 9.5 is 27.5.

I could never wear an 8US shoe! Even posts in the for sale forum here have size references that seem to go against what I read on BOL's guides.

Like this post http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27289&highlight=size that references 26M=8US.

Did I just do a really crappy job measuring my foot? I remeasured like three time and it comes out to 26.8 from heel to tip of big toe.

Can someone tell me what I should really be looking for?

Again, I'm 9.5/10 US and a little on the wide side.

I'm guessing 27 with a mold-able liner would work. Yes? No? Help... I can't drop $300+ and have them not fit or kill my feet.

If you are 'anywhere near' an Alpine Shop, I feel the BEST way to find the right boot is to try on as many boots as possible and pick the best ones. Their are so many different characteristics of feet and boots, only way for me was to try them. The shop will more than likely have a knowledgeable boot fitter also.

I know it may not be feasible depending on where you are located.

I drove 5 hours one way, 600 miles round trip, and don't regret a minute of it. I hear too many horror stories about boots and wanted them right the first time!

Monkeyfarm, you migh have wide feet....

AS jp1 said, the best thing you can do is to try some boots at the alpine snowboard shop, but regardless, the recommended size for you would be 26.

I also have the wide feet, but fortunately Track 700 managed to accomodate them. My feets are 25.5 and I use size 25.

The US way of shoe sizing is random at best. As you noticed, Mondo is an actual measured number.

I measure a 25 on one foot, and a 24.5 on the other. Make sure you check both feet.

Now, I tried a 25 at first and it was way too big. Next year I went to a 24, which was slightly better. This year I finally went to a 23, and it feels great. These were all Deeluxe boots. I found it a lot easier to fit into a smaller shell, than it was to make a larger shell work.

Get yourself to a good bootfitter. Like jp1 says, it's worth a drive.

I've read all the guides, I've read BOL's store sizing charts, but I'm still confused.

I measured my foot and get 26.8cm. According to BOL I round down to 26.

But that doesn't make any sense to me as I wear 9.5 for like 80% of my shoes & boots with a few 10's.

Everything I see online as far as Mondo->US conversion says that 26 is an 8 and that a 9.5 is 27.5.

I could never wear an 8US shoe! Even posts in the for sale forum here have size references that seem to go against what I read on BOL's guides.

Like this post http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27289&highlight=size that references 26M=8US.

Did I just do a really crappy job measuring my foot? I remeasured like three time and it comes out to 26.8 from heel to tip of big toe.

Can someone tell me what I should really be looking for?

Again, I'm 9.5/10 US and a little on the wide side.

I'm guessing 27 with a mold-able liner would work. Yes? No? Help... I can't drop $300+ and have them not fit or kill my feet.

If you measured at 26.8, you are actually 26.5. Your best bet is to go for the propper size 1st, especially if your feet are wide and you are not able to try some boots first... Raichle/Deeluxe tend to run a bit larger, though. Head and UPZ I found more just to the sizing.

The shells are always marked (in the lower portion, inside) 25/25.5, 26/26.5, 27/27.5, etc. So, your 26 boot would actually be 26.5 - both 26 and 26.5 liners can fit into them. If really needed you could stuff the 27 liner in there too. When you order 26 boot, you actually get 26 liner in 26.5 boot. I hope it makes sense...

Moldable liners make a lot of extra space. Good footbed is a must too - you don't necesserilly need the expensive custom one, unless you have some specific foot issues. Just don't use the ones that come with the boot.

Raichle/Deeluxe SB/LeMans/225/325 are a bit narrow, while AF/Suzuka/Indy/700 are wider at the toe box. They don't have great heel hold if you had narrow hels.

Head is a bit wider then SB and of pretty uniform width right trogh.

UPZ is wide upfront and narrow on the heel.

Ignore your street shoe size. We all tend to go at least one size bigger then required for comfort...

If you can not try some snowboard HB, at leaast get to the ski shop and try some ski boots. They are supposed to fit a bit too tight at first! The entry to intermediate level of Head ski boots would fit somewhat similar to Head Stratos. Dalbello Krypton would fit somewhat like Raichle/Deluxe SB series, maybe a bit narrower...

Hope it helps.

MonkeyFarm,

I too am a 9-10 US shoe size. I am without a doubt a 26.0 shell size for the Deelux/raichle boots.

My foot actually measures 27.1 cm. The fitting guide puts me in a 27.0 shell. I bought 27's and was SWIMMING in them. Returned, exchanged, in a 26.0 for several years and they fit great.

So where do you live?

I am sure we can find a good way to help you get into the right boot size on first try.

I was in the same predicament when I started looking for boots. I wear a 9 shoe but fit a mondo 26/8US boot. I didn't have an opportunity to try on boots so i was wary of trying to buy a boot that appeared to be too small. I went in to a ski shop and tried on ski boots in mondo sizes to get an idea of how they fit. Keep in mind that these liners will pack in. I found that they packed in even within the 10 minutes I was wearing them.

I found out that the advice and sizing info I got here and through bomber was totally correct. I fit a 26 mondo with room to spare actually.

Get thermofit liners because this will give you some ability to adjust the fit. I made a big toe cap for mine as we get very cold weather and I wanted to give myself some insulation room.