Note to New Members ×

TD2 Step-In Release Problems

anke

So I had my first ride on the new to me Madd 180 with used TD2's last week.

When trying to pull on the cable, I had major difficulties releasing the bindings. I arrived at the bottom of the hill, my upper thighs burning, pulling really hard and forceful, until I let myself fall to the ground because I could not stand up with my burning muscles anymore. I then was able to use more force and finally got the bindings to release.

This happened pretty much every time.

I checked my boots while not being stepped-in the bindings, and pulling on the cable works just fine, the pins move as they should. I also have no trouble with my old Blax bindings.

Do the TD2's just need more force? Is it me or something wrong with the set-up?

It really looks like it's set up correctly, and the pins perfectly slide in the binding when I step in.

Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

Going on the slopes tomorrow and dreading using the TD2's.

imgp2067.jpg

Thanks!

Maybe you have a metal burr or something in your heel receiver that doesn't allow the pin to retract. Take a Qtip and spin it around in the hole of your binding. If you leave cotton behind that might be your problem.

Try switching the receiver with the front one to see if your problem remains??

Aluminum is softer than the steel pins

I have 2 pairs of SI TD2

I do not have any problem releasing and I'm on small mountains so I'm releasing often...

I noticed that the pin is not in the middle of the hole, mine are perfectly in the midle. It may be the problem.

Sorry, but... the pin HAS NOT TO BE in the middle of the hole. If it's there, it means that your heel moves and it's not just "one part" with the binding...

Obviously: easier to step-out but... you risk to damage your heel due to the movement it has into the heel-receiver. ;)

anke,

Sorry to hear about the step-in issues. Hard to say without seeing but some things to check/consider:

set-up of all step-in can be finicky. You might be right at that spot where it is just a tad too tight thus making it hard to get out. Can you move the sole block of the binding out one more setting? If that makes the boot too loose then go with the "micro-adjust" on the front bail. Remove one shoulder bolt and turn the Lug one to two turns out. This gives you about a 1-2mm movement outward. I have seen this work wonder for troublesome step-ins.

That is a Blax boot which (no offense) is an older model. However, the shell should be the same as the HEADS so cannot see an issue with that. Just do yourself a favor and make sure there is no interference with the shell and the aluminum receiver on the binding. This could cause unneeded tension in the system.

I do have to mention but it looks like it is not an issue with you. With ALL step-ins in is VERY important you do NOT pull up on your foot at the same time you are pulling up on the release cable. Too many times I have seen "trouble" step-in system due to this. You MUST remove tension on the main pins of the step-in heel BEFORE you pull up on the cable. Once again, agree, this does not seem to be the issue here.

And last, not to make a shameless plug, but as of the TD3 we are running a steel receiver on all out step-ins. The action of these steel receivers is much better than the old aluminum ones. Good news is they are retro-fittable on the TD2. Go HERE to see these.

If you still have issues more than welcome to contact me directly and I can help you out more.