Note to New Members ×

Alexa Loo WEBSITE

yyzcanuck

Thanks Dave!

This weekend I was at Kunstadt Sports in Kanata (Ottawa) to buy my sister a pair of used softies as she embarks on her quest to learn to snowboard. I was looking at Dalbellos, and the salesman came over, so I asked about the Krypton Pros. He asked me why, and I told him I was a hardbooter, so he said "ohh yeah, the forward flex on them would work great!" He mentioned that they used to have a pair each of Oxygen and Raichle boots in the used section, but couldn't recall what had happened to them.

Anyway, he then told me that if I wanted alpine gear, the place to go was "yyzcanuck.com or something".

You're famous!

• 2 weeks later...

...became second today after Nicolien Sauerbreij, our dutch WC champion, on the PGS at Kreischberg, Austria.

Nicolien told that the Olympics will be tough to get a good result for her because the Olympic Piste near Vancouver is not so technical as in Austria today. The Olympic Piste at Cypress Mountainin (Vancouver) is much flatter.

All and all a good result for both athletes.

post-105-14184229674_thumb.jpg

...because the Olympic Piste near Vancouver is not so technical...

Don't quite know about that... It starts very steep (moderate black), then small flat section, then roller into slightly steeper combined with strong right hand bias (blue), then lighter left bias exiting into very flat end section (steep green). One potentialy could carry a lot of speed into the roller and zig-zag thing, with potential for screw-up. Then if you scrubbed too much speed through that, you are pretty much stuffed at the flat section towards the finish. That's quite technical in my book. But then, what do I know, it is the only real PGS venue I know 1st hand...

I just quoted an interview from Nicolien here on the dutch radio and television today. That's what she told us. But she is near her WC shape from about two years ago. She played with her opponents then and she did it today (have seen four races of her today on this technical tough steep piste). I think it will become an interesting competition with the Olympics with all the 'older' skilled riders.

She will go to Vancouver earlier/in between Worldcup's to see how the piste is overthere.

I agree with Boris.

I took that run at speed a few times last year and if you carry a ton of speed into the zig-zag things could get interesting.

At the base of the first pitch as it turns right, the change from pitch to flat is quite dramatic, so depending on how the race course is set, it could turn into a rutted-up compression as racers push late through the turn.

If they set the gate at the apex of the roller as you turn left, then we'll definately see some carnage as some racers will either load the nose and launch off or will try to suck it up and land heading skiers left completely extended.

I took that last rooler on a hard heel-side and launched across the hill...depending on how you line it up and where the next downhill gate is...could be make-or-break for the race.

I'm very interested to see how they set this course. The zig-zag in the course will likely result in one course being somewhat faster (which would totally change the head-to-head game). I'm also thinking that it may be a course that is partial to either a regular or goofy-footed rider depending on how the gates are set at each turn.

-Gord