Note to New Members ×

front leg stacking

WASMAN

Had my first day on the slopes this weekend. Feeling pretty good BUT..... Here are my details: riding a Prior 179 4WD. (my new Coiler is sitting in the closet till snow conditions improve). angles of 60/58 and TD3's with 3 degree plates front and rear. currently have set up with about 1.5 inward cant on front and whatever that gives me for toe lift (probably about 1-1.5 toe lift). and the same inward cant on the rear but with heel lift.

Problem I am finding is that I have good feel of my toeside carve, but when I am on my heelside I cant help but have almost all my weight on my front leg and that my rear leg is just along for the ride..... Thus, I have little confidence to commit to the heelside and find that I am sliding out whenever I am on anything but hero snow.

Is there any suggestions on canting or lift that anyone can suggest to try and get more weight to my back leg? If I just lean back it just gets away from me.

I ride the 179 4WD a lot, and although I can't say what would fix your stance, I'll just say what works well for me.

I ride a centered 18.5" stance -- I used Gilmour's formula of "inseam X 0.306" to figure out the distance. I like angles of 65 and 45, but that's of course personal. 3* front toe lift and 6* rear heel lift, i.e. just lift and no canting. That's been working out well for me -- see what stance you have and what Gilmour's formula suggests... that'd be a good starting point. Good luck,

tom.

As Jim said, hard to say without seeing...

Try eliminating the front cant 1st, just plain toe lift. Nex would be just plain heel lift at the back. Don't do too many adjustments at the same time.

Also, try paying attention to the technique. It could well be that you ride with back leg too straight... Try to drive the (bent) rear knee aggressivelly into the heel side turn. It would force you to get a bit lower and a bit back with your CG, but also will bring the back part of the board higher on the edge.

High edge + weight = edge hold

Flat board + weight = skid

cool,

i will try these suggestions. I just put some inward canting in my setup this year cause I read so much about it in this forum. I will try and take it out and see if that helps. In my little head when the hampsters are running in the treadmill, logic tells me that putting more lift on my front toe (5-6 degrees) would push my stance more onto my rear? Does that work in reality? (I dont currently have 6 deg plates).

wasman,

I have had a similar issue. based on your description, I would try getting rid of the inward cant, especially on your back leg. . . and potentially even using a small amount of outward cant (take small steps, small stesp=big difference).

FOR ME, I have found that if one side feels good (toeside) and the other feels weak, I need to cant more towards the side that feels good. This seems to take "power" away from the strong side and give it to the weak side. more balanced on the board, more balanced load on my legs. You're front leg is likely getting tired because it is the only one that is setup in a manner that can deliver any power to your heelside edge.

I think it kind-of works like the gas pedal wedges in a soft boot set up that are used to fix a weak toe-side.

I ride cateks which makes this an easy adjustment on the hill to see if it really fixes what's ailing me. With bombers, its a little more involved, but easily something you can adjust between runs and try.

When I run into someone on hill that appears to be having a setup problem, I love throwing them on a set of cateks for a day. Go out with angles set up for the board and then based on the riders feedback during runs, tweak the cants and lifts till they are all dialed in (similar to having a bike sized for you on a fit bike) . At the end of the day, measure the cant and lift, calculate the closest bomber disk settings, duplicate the setup as close as possible and see if that fixes the problem.

If you ever find yourself riding near boston or southern VT, give me a shout and I bet we can get this problem to go away within a couple of runs.

~tb