Note to New Members ×

The right size snowboard for SL + GS???

Guest wuzupwityou

Guest wuzupwityou

Well i'm about 5'9 135 pounds (just a skinney guy!!!) And im looking into getting two boards this year. Ive allready purchased the trench digger bindings and now im looking into buying two snowboards. I work at a ski shop and can "pro form" Volkl snowboards for under wholesale (only volkl, we dont carry any other companies that sell race boards) THe options are 158 and 163 for the sl boards and 168/173 for the gs boards. But last year i rode a 154 and a 164 (crappy boards so thats why im doin somethin else) Would a 158 for my sl and a 168 for my gs work for me? too big? Maybe I should just spend full price and get a different type of snowboard because these rnt good options? thanks so much oh and i want to add, this will be my third year on a race board, im decent at it and finished 18th in the state of ca last year (not great but gives ya an idea)

Guest Randy S.

Where are you in CA? Where do you ride?

You are skinny. I'm 5'10" and weigh 195. I ride the Volkl 163 as my SL board and like it a lot. In fact, everyone in the upper group of our weekend warrior league rides that board (in one of the 2 lengths). I don't think you'll go wrong with either length. I'm biased toward longer skinier boards (I ride a 184 for GS most of the time). The Volkl boards are a bit wider than my ideal at the waist, but I still love the SL.

If you are concerned about going too long, get the shorter ones. If not, get the 173 for GS.

If you are in Tahoe and want to try any boards, let me know. I have Volkl, Donek and Coiler boards you could try out. If the pro form deal isn't going to be significantly cheaper than buying a new Donek, consider getting a Donek (if for no other reason than to support the US company). The Donek boards are as good, if not better than the Volkls and have better resale value in this country.

If Phil Fell offers advice, take it. He's forgotten more about racing than I know.

I never rode any Volkl boards, but they are highly regarded here on this forum. Since you are a lighter rider, I'd go with the smaller ones (158 & 168). The very worst that could happen: you sell them here at a good price and you are closer to know what boards you like.

Derf

Employee forms (aka shop forms) were the best. When I was riding two planks in the 80's you could buy a sweet Olin SL package with Marker MRR bindings for 175.00 , that included poles too. Nordica 981s went for something like 120.00 on the employee forms. I always thought that the reason the shop employees received the killer deals is that the shop employees had to sale that merchandise to the public. The patrollers and instructors who purchased on the pro forms only had to look good using the stuff.

I hooked my brother and I up with SL and GS skis, we looked like total dorks on the hill with identical equipment though. I remember once my bro and I were skiing Mammoth, chair 3, and while we were in the lift line I saw my boss standing next to us. He checked out the equipment that we had on, made a comment on our identical setups. Once I returned back to the shop I had a meeting with the boss who informed me that pro forms were strictly for shop employees only, not family members. Who would've thunk that you would run into your boss at Mammoth???

BTW, still have the set of Olin GS skis in my closet, 215s baby. YEAH!!

Guest wuzupwityou

Phil- To answer your questions this will be my third year in hard boots. I raced my first year freestyle and didnt even qualify for states. My second year i went into hardboots and one board that was way too short for me and jsut barely qualified and did terrible. My junior year in hs i qualified and placed 18th (out of roughly 180 or so) this year i want to get even more competative and hit top ten. My school annually wins states over all with wins every year since our school got into the sport (8 years ago?) And we've allways had the overall winner on our team, so lots of pressure. Thanks for all the info, ill ask my boss if he knows about the diff between a pro and shop fourm and if volkl does them. Thus far im planning on just getting a 158 to start with and get a feel if i can buy another, longer board. Unless someone tells me they really think i can handle the 168. Thanks so much

I'm 5'8" (used to be 5'9" but 2000 parachute opening shocks and landings kinda compressed the spine) and 165lb and race on the 168cm Volkl RennTiger GS board. I'm happy with the length and have had pretty good results. The trend on GS skis is to go shorter in length and that may apply to race boards as well.

clwg0

Taking a breather from a nice run at Cervinia the winter before last...

Pat

Guest Comrade

First off, I need to explain my physical build. I am 17 years old and I am six foot and one inches. I also weigh 135 lbs as well. Yes, I am skinny, lurpy, or any other adjective you feel necessary to insert.

If you are debating between two boards, I would go for the 168. I rode one last year and I really enjoyed it. I also had a 158 in 2003 and while I enjoyed learning on it, it was so turny I really couldn't go at very fast speeds. I guess that's what you get for a slalom board. I found the 168 to be more versatile because I could make turns as tight as my dad on his 160 Atomic SL's, and I also could open up the turns as well.

You guys were talking about killer deals and about how you could buy a 05 for $399, I have one better. Last year I was on eBay and I found the 68 for $125 new. It was a 2002 but the only change had been the graphics. Unfortunately, I noticed a couple of the inserts were crooked, (not too much) so I decided to send it in for warranty. They just sent me an 05 for free. How's that for a great deal?

->Eric

P.S. The 2005 is a great looking board, compared to previous years.

Guest Comrade

Chooblaykhan,

What race season? Unfortunately I won't be able to put the 173 to any real racing use (I occasionally run NASTAR.) Since school kills all of my time, the only day I can go up to PCMR on Saturdays. I'll get a solid 25 days in if I'm lucky. The worst part is that I'm going to school next year so I doubt I'll get a good chance to go. Well, that depends on where I'll go to. I'm applying to MIT and Johns Hopkins, if (and that is a big if) I couldn't afford time or money to go skiing, at $42k a year. Oh well, I'll bask in the luxury of carving this year.

->Eric

PS Where can you find the RT for $399?

PSS For those who care, Volkl has one of the best warranty service in the world. This is the second year they have given me brand new board no questions asked. They are good guys.

Guest Randy S.

That guy has a bunch of Burton boards and some of the newest ('02) Burton Race Plates. If anyone really wants those bindings (they have the aluminum disks) they might be a good place to get them. Not bad deals really.