Note to New Members ×

Donek Metal FC

dave29

Excellent all day, super versital, do it all ride. I rode the 14-20 scr and 14-24m scr boards and probably more prefer the larger sidecut deck. The 14-20 was by no means short on versitality the the larger scr just gives you more options of turn size and here in Colorado we have top to bottom parking lot wide cruisers that allow for extreme changes in turn shape and size that additional radi availability is very welcome. Super fun to cruise on and can turn tighter than you legs will allow. Quiver killer, yes! 1 board that can serve may functions!

Think Snow!

Come to the Basin Monday. Small group of us meeting up and the snow is always the best at the Basin. Its tuned, waxed and ready to go! Send me your phone number. And as soon as I find the phone that I lost in the woods while burning slash I will give you a call. Hope I didnt cook it in a slash fire!

Think Snow!

Keep in mind that the new and old tech are bacisally two different machines that achieve the same result differently. Old stiff boards do it through power, mass and stiffness, new boards achieve it through dmapening, multiple radi sidecuts and decambering. The new shapes are soo much more versitale, they can do alot of different turn size/shapes. This versatility is not available on old boards primarily due to the single radi side cut. Don't get me wrong, you can still mix it up on old boards but the range is limited on what they can do. As for the 20cm waiste, it seems to be the norm and isn't going away any time soon soo it might be best to embrace it an make the adjustment.

Mark great explanation. I haven't heard it put that way. Thanks for the input it really helped.

Ditto. Thanks Mark.

Dave, it looks like you and I might be calling Sean sometime soon. First, however, I need to spend some time on the 180 Kessler I just got in exchange for my 185 Kessler... I'll be doing that Saturday, but I know I will also bring my FC with me!

Fatski-don't let the large tail radi spook you. I know the way you ski and assume the your snowboarding is on the same level and I am confident that you would love it. Just imagine the range available with a 10m difference tip to tail. I hope the these larger sidecuts become more prevalant as for now I think Donek is pushing the envelope farther than the others. It just makes your available bag of trick larger. It is a very comfortable ride. If you get out here this winter I will get you on one.

Fatski-don't let the large tail radi spook you. I know the way you ski and assume the your snowboarding is on the same level and I am confident that you would love it. Just imagine the range available with a 10m difference tip to tail. I hope the these larger sidecuts become more prevalant as for now I think Donek is pusing the envelope farther than the others. It just makes your available bag of trick larger. It is a very comfortable ride. If you get out here this winter I will get you on one.

Might have to be next year the way things are looking....but I'll have more money next year too so it might be better that way. Part of the way something turns is the flex too so even though it's a straighter sidecut in the tail, maybe it bends nicely and that's how they get that versatile ride. Only a couple of ski racers use progressive sidecut skis...and nobody is using a rockered ski. Yet anyway. Makes me think...progressive sidecut race ski with a little tip and tail rocker....might be the next big thing!

The flex of these new boards is hard for someone like me who prefers stiff boards to get use to. Its a whole new animal and there in is a big part of how these new boards work. They do what I call flubber. Watch a rider hammering down the run and observe the non engaged side of the board. They bend, twist, warp, flop what ever you might call it but this is how they can dissapate all of the chop, ice and other variations that you run over and smooth it all out. Its very stange to watch a board bending this way but it works very very well.