Note to New Members ×

What is decambering?

jonbass

Ok, so I looked up decamber in my AASI manual and found nothing.... but here is the defination from the PSIA Alpine Technical Manual:

"Camber is the natural arch that is designed into the ski. To decamber a ski means to bend the ski enough that the camber is momentarily gone, such as results from flexing the ski during a turn."

I guess in my own words I'd say that when you put a board on a flat surface, the middle is higher than the tip and tail. That is the camber of the board.

Camber is defined in the AASI manual "The bridge-like arc seen when a snowboard is placed base down on a flat surface; spreads the rider's weight evenly along the length of the deck"

So, when you decamber a board means that you have enough pressure (weight, force, etc) to flatten out that arc or to bend it the other way. I saw a picture somewhere on here recently where the board was definately bent the other way... decambered.

Ok, so a few book definations here and an attempt and translating it! Hope that helps explain it...

Ok, so I looked up decamber in my AASI manual and found nothing.... but here is the defination from the PSIA Alpine Technical Manual:

"Camber is the natural arch that is designed into the ski. To decamber a ski means to bend the ski enough that the camber is momentarily gone, such as results from flexing the ski during a turn."

I guess in my own words I'd say that when you put a board on a flat surface, the middle is higher than the tip and tail. That is the camber of the board.

Camber is defined in the AASI manual "The bridge-like arc seen when a snowboard is placed base down on a flat surface; spreads the rider's weight evenly along the length of the deck"

So, when you decamber a board means that you have enough pressure (weight, force, etc) to flatten out that arc or to bend it the other way. I saw a picture somewhere on here recently where the board was definately bent the other way... decambered.

Ok, so a few book definations here and an attempt and translating it! Hope that helps explain it...

Forget the dictionary, just read Jack's post and look at the pictures

wow, and I thought I was anal about grammar! :D

jonbass, no problem, thanks for the bump.

well Jack, we women need to hold our ground here and push the guys a little when we can!!! hahahahaha

(aka.... to much time to kill.... stuck at work early.... blah, blah, blah)

Camber should be a personal thing with your board builder. Tell him your weight and the bends in your board will correspond. If you are fond of pies and sugar the camber will be big (as long as you can ride well ) if you are light the camber will be slight. If you weigh nought but ride like a b*^%$d your camber will be mountainous and if you like chocolate but ride like a kitty your arch should be slight. Then again buy titanal and it does not matter that much. It does not matter as long as you ride happy with a big fat eliptical smile or should that be variable side cut.

P.s. does it mean Kessler sidecut technology or Kan't stop triumph.

Camber should be a personal thing with your board builder. Tell him your weight and the bends in your board will correspond. If you are fond of pies and sugar the camber will be big (as long as you can ride well ) if you are light the camber will be slight. If you weigh nought but ride like a b*^%$d your camber will be mountainous and if you like chocolate but ride like a kitty your arch should be slight. Then again buy titanal and it does not matter that much. It does not matter as long as you ride happy with a big fat eliptical smile or should that be variable side cut.

P.s. does it mean Kessler sidecut technology or Kan't stop triumph.

I don't think camber is based on weight at all. I have 2 boards of similar specs (What? They were cheap!) in length and decamber. One is markedly stiffer than the other, but it also has less camber.

On another note, my guess is a board with less camber will be less stressed in a turn and inherently have less return at the end of the turn. I'd assume flex pattern or construction would have a much bigger effect.

Disclaimer: These are all assumptions, and we all know the old saying..