Note to New Members ×

New school skis ?

BobD

Aside from kessler, and Palmer, has any one seen the new school camber profiles in carving skis ?

Reading ski history articles, it is apparent the main reason the ski industry resisted shaped skis for so long, was retooling cost.Is this the case for camber changes ? Also I wonder if WC skiing took so long to adopt more sidecut, because the factories did not want to start a trend before they were ready for it, so are the top ski racers on skis with decambered tips and tails.. I had been expecting to see skis looking like Kesslers on the shelves by now, but have seen nothing.

BobD

Aside from kessler, and Palmer, has any one seen the new school camber profiles in carving skis ?

Reading ski history articles, it is apparent the main reason the ski industry resisted shaped skis for so long, was retooling cost.Is this the case for camber changes ? Also I wonder if WC skiing took so long to adopt more sidecut, because the factories did not want to start a trend before they were ready for it, so are the top ski racers on skis with decambered tips and tails.. I had been expecting to see skis looking like Kesslers on the shelves by now, but have seen nothing.

BobD

race skis have looked this way for a long time, even consumer skis have had decambered noses for ages. just gotta look at them it's not as noticable.

philfell I think was talking about kessler taking what what was working with race skis and putting it in to a board and I agree !00%.

its been awhile, with volkl it was around the p-40 generation.

race skis have looked this way for a long time, even consumer skis have had decambered noses for ages. just gotta look at them it's not as noticable.

philfell I think was talking about kessler taking what what was working with race skis and putting it in to a board and I agree !00%.

its been awhile, with volkl it was around the p-40 generation.

I can see a reduction in camber toward the tip on some amateur race skis, but not as pronounced as it looks on the new boards. Also the tip of the skis, still looks like it doesn't become part of the running edge at high inclinations. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

BobD

I rode a pair of Virus skis last season. Early rise tip & tail, variable/progressive sidecut, Zylon, metal, unobtanium. The next day I rode some Volkl RC 30 carving skis. I wanted the comparison. It was like comparing a hoopty bug to a Ferrari. WOW. The drawback.... BIG $$$$$$ like over 2K. Bola has some unmounted Kessler skis. I'd like to try them as well. I think it will be awhile before you see high end skis, like these, in your local ski shop.

Don

Feed he addiction...:eplus2:

My dad has some 09 K2 Seths he rides every day. Looking from the top of the ski they look dead flat but they just have lots and lots of decamber so the classic tip "kink" isn't there.

His 2002 or so K2 race stock GS skis (with a 21.5m sidecut..Kinda early to be dumping the cheater ski concept!) also have the same profile, but don't look the part because of the cheesy plastic tips. Cutting the tips off would make them look very new school.

I think it will be awhile before you see high end skis, like these, in your local ski shop.

Don

Feed he addiction...:eplus2:

That's what I'm wondering. Is it a repeat of the retooling cost BS that held skiing back for so long, or is it just ignorance on the part of ski manufacturers ? If new school skis were as much a game changer as the new school boards, you would think that the big manufacturer that gets the lead with an affordable NS ski, would clean up.

BobD