Note to New Members ×

Outer layers

nekdut

With all this talk of long underwear, you guys have got me thinking about a new shell. I have a fairly old northface jacket that keeps me fairly warm, but is progressively getting worse at staying dry.

What can you guys suggest as a good high quality replacement?

I have a NF Mountain Light, nice jacket that I like a lot however I spend most of my winter in a US Army GoreTex...I've sewn a pocket into it for my IPOD that includes the remote sewn into the collar. This is by far the best jacket I have owned and I even excuse the camoflage since it keeps me warm and dry even when is warm and or wet. If I was hunting for a civilian looking replacement I'd look at Mountain Hardware...they are the most durable looking jackets I've seen other than my GoreTex

Guest Matt D

I purchased a gore-tex jacket a couple years ago, and I will never ride without one ever again. It keeps me dry no matter what the conditions are, and its very breathable so no condensation forms in my jacket.

I ride the burton stuff myself. MEC is good, NF is quality also. Have you guys seens the Burton Continuum Fuse Jacket. The thing only has 1 seem. click here

Anyway... my vote is for some sort of gore-tex shell. Also remember anything waterproof usually comes with a DWR coating, which impacts performance. Once it wears away, you can replenish it with Nikwax TX Direct wash-in. I treat my stuff 1-2 times per year depending on use.

For shells i have the choice of a Helly Hansen water resistant nylon or a Patagonia waterproof shell. The helly hansen jacket i found sitting on my car when i was returning from riding one day and the patagonia i found in a pile of trash waiting to be collected. Both jackets keep me out of the wind, and both happen to be XLs, so i am able to layer to my hearts content.

Originally posted by outsider

For shells i have the choice of a Helly Hansen water resistant nylon or a Patagonia waterproof shell. The helly hansen jacket i found sitting on my car when i was returning from riding one day and the patagonia i found in a pile of trash waiting to be collected. Both jackets keep me out of the wind, and both happen to be XLs, so i am able to layer to my hearts content.

Nice! I was about to say that Helly Hansen and Patagonia are great except that they tend to be super expensive. My favorite "bad weather" jacket is my Bonfire Platinum jacket, that thing is impervious to wind and rain... rode in the Maine Ice Storm of '98 and in -20* (-40 with wind chill) in Quebec in February of 2000.

However I've now graduated to semi-powder heaven on the West Coast (Tahoe) - to now I wear a Burton Ronin jacket I got on REI-outlet.com for 67% off (gotta love REI). I ordered a Helly Hansen jacket as well, but the Burton one ended up fitting better. It's much lighter and breathable and better for the sunny winter riding out here. Since the original poster is from SoCal, I would recommend a similar jacket.

Actually, I strong recommend first trying the Nikwax TX Direct wash-in like Matt D. I've used that for several years and it is very effective of bringing back waterproof life to old gear. Try it for $10 and see how you like it...

Does anyone ride in motocycle clothing? I know there's a bunch of crotch-rocketeers around here... I was in a bike shop this summer and spied a pretty nice jacket/pant set. the outer layer was way more robust than anything made for snow sports, and I figure biking in the rain can't be less wet the snowboarding in the rain. Plus the knees were stitched with some angle in them, which seemed smart for boarding too.

Other question - does anyone have a recommendation for a packet/pant set that zips together? I've been wearing rompers for years (stop laughing!) because I got tired of getting snow up my back in falls. Plus they look super cool (stop laughing, dammit!).

Originally posted by NateW

Does anyone ride in motocycle clothing? I know there's a bunch of crotch-rocketeers around here... I was in a bike shop this summer and spied a pretty nice jacket/pant set. the outer layer was way more robust than anything made for snow sports, and I figure biking in the rain can't be less wet the snowboarding in the rain. Plus the knees were stitched with some angle in them, which seemed smart for boarding too.

Other question - does anyone have a recommendation for a packet/pant set that zips together? I've been wearing rompers for years (stop laughing!) because I got tired of getting snow up my back in falls. Plus they look super cool (stop laughing, dammit!).

My wife ski's in her "Motorcycle Jacket"...it's a Joe Rocket Meteor and keeps hep warm and dry...of course removing the armor makes it a bit more comfortable, I've got the same Jacket but have so far refrained from boarding in it

Guest Ghostrider

I've got a classic (its not old) North Face Mountain Light. I love it. I use the Mountain Light system as foul weather gear while I crew on Tall Ships. It gets alot of use and dirt, so if it starts to get a lil damp inside, a quick wash with some ReviveX by Gore makes the coat as good as new! When I bought the coat almost 9 years ago, I was told it would last forever and it looks like it will. Its been used year round for a long time and beat up with backpacking, boarding, climbing..everything..and it still looks brand new with no damage and it can still hold up to a severe storm on the great lakes.