Note to New Members ×

NY public transport and hotel in NJ

Surf Quebec

Hi,

I want to go to NY with my wife.

There is one interesting deal with an hotel in New Jersey, the Fairfield Inn, Marriott.

The publicity mentions that it is 20 minutes using the public transport from Times Square.

Is it right ? If not what could be the time and cost of a 1 way trip from Times Square to the Fairfield Inn Marriott,NJ ?

Thanks

If you are looking at this hotel http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrwb-fairfield-inn-and-suites-woodbridge then you could technically be in NYC in 20 minutes but it may take a bit longer with traffic depending on the time.

This hotel is much closer to NYC (Manhattan) but it's on the other side of the city http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgaqa-fairfield-inn-new-york-laguardia-airport-astoria/ - it all depends on where you are traveling from and what you want to do.

Are you flying? If so what airport?

Where would you like to go in Manhattan? I'm assuming that's where you want to go.

I have stayed here http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/EWRHGHF-Hilton-Newark-Penn-Station-New-Jersey/index.do in the past and it is a quick train ride to Penn Station Manhattan. Penn station Newark to Penn station Manhattan, easy to remember and easy to do.

This Hilton has a walkway to the train station so you don't even have to go outside and the cookies in the lobby are very good. The rates during the holidays were fairly reasonable and the access to Manhattan was very easy. Not sure of the train time but probably 15-20 min.

There is also a nice cafe on the walkway to the train that has good food and very nice employees. We would stop here each morning on the way to NYC.

Ink

The hotel is the Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City, 52-34 Van Dam Street

According to google, it will take me 14 minutes from Main St - Flushing Station

using the 7 line to 33rd St Station then walk 8 minutes to the hotel.

That's fine by me.

I do not have the choice of the hotel as it as a package.

2 years ago I came by myself and stay in manhattan, this time it's just a quick get away for me and my wife ... without our 3 boys.

Thanks to all

I see. You will be staying @ LI City/Queens area and not NJ.

Are you flying? LGA/JFK/EWR?

This map should make more sense:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Main Street Flushing is the end of the line. BTW Great chinese food!!!

7 train goes between Flushing and Time Square.

From NYC to hotel:

Go main street/Queens bound. Get off @ 33 Street

From Hotel to NYC:

Go NYC/Time Square bound. Last stop is Timt Square.

HTH

--

David

Hi Stephane -

I live in Astoria, very near LIC in NYC. The area you are looking at in LIC has a bunch of different hotel options there. As a neighborhood, LIC is two-parts industrial warehouse haven, and one part up-and-coming waterfront condos ... although most of NYC is very safe these days, there are parts of LIC you prolly don't want to be walking around in late at night. There is a very cute area of LIC near the water on Vernon Boulevard with nice restaurants, bars and boutiques etc ... LIC also has the PS1 art museum which is pretty cool.

You may be able to find something close to the N/W line near queensboro plaza also, I am pretty sure there are a few hotels I bike by every day on crescent street on the way to the bridge. That said, the area immediately surrounding queensboro plaza is kinda sketchy, though probably nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...