Note to New Members ×

162 ultra prime questions

slopestar

As a novice hardbooter, what would be the recommended stance angles and stance width for this /ultra prime 162/ or any other board for that matter?

I am 5'11 and 190lbs/ size 9/mondo 26???

I have burton raceplate bindings and one canting plate. I used it previously but have since removed it. I currently am comfortable riding at 48/45. I have gone through every recommended/faq page I could find here but am still a little unclear. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and this is the only carving board I can afford this season. :nono:The only one I have.

I have ridden in the past: 170 kemper aggressor with 3 strap/ burton pj 5/burton alp 5.7/and my current ultra prime 162. I have burton freecarve boots that I plan to replace but on a budget/ wife,mortgage,kids...

hard to say what the right angle is. I'd just start with the minimum angle that has no overhang and ride that for a bit, then adjust as needed.

also start flat and then try the cant on the rear and see which feels better. There are people who claim to have a magic formula for angles and stance widths, but for most it's an evolution...I've been riding plates since 1989 and I still try new angles every once in a while.

hard to say what the right angle is. I'd just start with the minimum angle that has no overhang and ride that for a bit, then adjust as needed.

also start flat and then try the cant on the rear and see which feels better. There are people who claim to have a magic formula for angles and stance widths, but for most it's an evolution...I've been riding plates since 1989 and I still try new angles every once in a while.

Thanks tex. I have been on and off carving boards since 89' and still fidling with angles as well. I still prefer the freestyle board but I am bored with them and am finally committing at least the morning groomers to the carving board.

Any additional feedback is appreciated!

Riding angles are completely dependent on what's comfortable and how you want to ride. I ride at 66 and 45 which affords me the quickest reaction to changing situations (bumps).

I dialed in my stance over a couple of years or fiddling around, and found them to be at exactly the same position that my feet end up at when sliding down an icy hill in shoes. I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best position for strictly carving, but it is the best position for me to change directions and keeping my center of gravity split between for/aft/side/side. Much like a martial arts stance.

Post Script.

I ride a Ultraprime 162 for carving and a 156 for bumps and off piste until more than 6" of freshies.

Thanks Bumpy. I will continue riding my freestyle custom x 162/flow carbons in pow and cut snow as I really enjoy riding switch, especially in pow. However, I mostly ride local So Cal mountains and will ride the carving setup until the groomers get soft or cut up. I don't think I will be a full time carver, although I can lay out a freestyle setup. (Shameless plug on myself...) I will just have to play with it (stance) I guess.

Even though I am riding an Ultra Prime, it seems to be a fairly decent setup for myself as I have been scouring through all of the threads here. Not great but definitely good enough. I will post up on the So Cal threads whenever going up and look forward to riding and learning how to lay rail on the hardboot setup!!!!

Slopestar, if you want to try it I have a Burton Coil 173 cm which is an all around carver. Rounded tail and a bit wider on the waist width, you are more than welcome to try that out. The sidecut radius is fairly small, I would think smaller than the ultra prime so you can carver around all the gapers. I would think with the angles that you are riding on your Ultra Prime would be on the verge of having your boot toes hanging off the edge which is a big NO NO. The Coil is a bit wider so you could probably get away with those angles.

I keep the board around for friends if they want to try carving, we would just have to schedule a meeting place down the hill. I live at the bottom of the mtn, Redlands. or we can meet on the hill once Summit opens up