Note to New Members ×

Lookout Opens

kinpa

My boy,Nathan had his 4th birthday party today so I couldn't join in the fest up ther.Glad to hear it was worth it.

Next time you head up there(if there is a next time after Schweetzer opens) try BitterRoot Cafe in Mullan for great coffee and food on the way up or the way home.Our friends April and Mike have a great place with atmoshphere and home made food,not to mention Mike's great art.

well, survived it.... why does the first day always have to hurt so much??? On my very first run, I hit something and put a good size dink in the board. :eek: Good thing it was just the teaching board (a Rossi all-mountain board)!!! Oh well, life goes on.... I guess I gotta dig out the tuning box and find some p-tex. I really wanted to try out my new skiis, but wasn't going to do it in those conditions so I stayed on the board all day. My legs are a bit bruised from the top of the boots, and my heel of my back foot hurts. I think I probably should move the angles up on that board because I don't ride it like it's set up. The leg muscles seem ok though! YEAH!

My 8 year old daughter did awesome on her board! Proud Mama here! She made it all the way up the rope tow and down the beginner hill with only falling once or twice. She likes her soft boots now.

• 3 weeks later...
It was cold. like 8 degrees with some wind. no new snow, but the groomers were in good shape. Wasn't too busy for a Sun. either.

Just thought I would let you all know how the conditions are up there.

Talk to you later!

Ed

Thanks Ed!! Appreciate the updates!!

Do you want to ride again in the morning?

Oh ya, YOU ARE IN MONTANA AND I AM IN WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never, mind.

Sounds like high winds at Hood today. 7" of new (which surprised me)

This should at least freshen up the groomers. Glad you got to ride.

Your Bro Bryan

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1639351

It was minus 13 at Lookout Pass this morning. The employees said they will be closed due to the cold and wind chill. We should get some fresh snow in a few weeks hopefully. I have a weekday pass to Snowbowl. so far they only have the t-bar running.

Ouch!! That is cold Ed.

MHM cold, but not that cold.

I have a weekday pass to Snowbowl. so far they only have the t-bar running.

And isn't a T-bar so much fun on a board!!!! hahahaha.... the run there is nice... and usually some of the best snow and grooming since they have man-made snow there and good grooming for the racing stuff.... but boy, I've slid down that t-bar track on my butt right above the midway unloading at least once, probably more!

• 2 weeks later...

After a 3 week hiatus and a car that now runs, I made it up to Lookout yesterday!!!!! YIPEE!!! Snow was soft, chairs were a bit wet, and a ski-gee for goggles was definately in order. First day on the little Oxygen board this year and as always, a good ride. Angles on that are much more suited to my riding style than my all-mountain teaching board. At lunch got to try out my new Fisher slalom skiis and I can see we are going to have fun together too! (will need a little work, well, ok... A LOT of work on those) Afternoon brough a group lesson of 3 beginner snowboarders..... two 15 year old boys with one mom who really wanted to stay with her son and had already beat herself up in the morning!!! What fun, what fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up to Lookout tomorrow.... staying overnight in Wallace and I'll be there Thursday too. I'm sure it will be busy, but if anyone is going to be around, come find me! I hope I have time for a few runs in between the newbies trying to figure out how to work Christmas gifts.... yipee

gee, maybe it will be busy enough that I may even get to teach a BIG group lesson and make some money... btw, BIG group lesson by Lookout's standards amounts to 4 or 5 in one group.... I keep telling the other instructors there they don't know how easy they have it. When I was back in PA, I taught a beginner snowboard lesson once with about 20 people in the group (that didn't last long, as soon as another instructor became available, we split the group up)

We did stay at the Stardust.... did you know they have a 30% discount for repeat customers??? And yes, we did go down to the Wallace Inn and used the pool and hot tub. I would have skipped the pool and stayed in the hot tub, but my 8 year old daughter had a different idea. Had a great two days on the hill.

Yes, I would like to stay with you. I'll get in touch with you when the week gets closer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had fun riding with Kram and we got some good shots even though vis wasn't the greatest. Mark,your technique gets noticably stronger every time I see you ride!Meanwhile, I took a slam on a 180 to switch that didn't fully make it on vid(I just disappear from view);I'll be feeling my right ribs for a few days :0

• 4 weeks later...

yep, that's the one.... thanks.... I did find it finally after searching my post and I ended up emailing myself the link! I can't even remember, whose board is that anyway? and how big? It's gotta be around 190ish, right? I was talking to someone about board length.... Everyone I talk to feels I should be on a longer board... ok, not like that one exactly, but something bigger. I haven't been on snow for about a month now and even longer since I've been on the board. We are trying to move so all my free time is for that.... you know what? This economy really sucks!!! I do hope to get one more day before the end of the season, but that's looking a little rough too....

Anyone been to Lookout recently? I'm wondering how the snow has been holding up. Even though there was an early start, doesn't seem like there has been nearly as much snow as in the past.

That was Steve's 196 new school race I believe.

The economy & the snowpack are hurtin' around here. I'm hoping for a little more snow the next couple of weeks, as well as a few more construction projects this summer.

I think a 155-160 carver similar to a burton alp or speed would treat you well.