Note to New Members ×

So Cal Carvers sound off

slopestar

I'm new here to bomberonline and stoked to be here! I spent 90'-96' working at Crystal Mountain WA and summers 96'-99' working for Kelly Jo Legaz/Kelly at Blacomb at Board With the World camp. I am usually stuck riding locally and spend at least the first few runs of the day on the carving board. I would love to hook up with any local carvers/freeriders and lay some ruts. I hate they direction that snowboarding has taken and love the speed and style that carving boards offer. This is not my first carving setup but I am still a novice at riding a carving setup. I am committed to carving this season instead of dabbling as I have done for so many years. Hope to hear and ride with you soon!!! lancef at audioimages dot tv

Terry,

Thanks for "sounding off". I can usually be found at Mountain High East midweek. Not many days a year due to kids, wife, mortgage, etc... I stay as far away from West as possible. I will have some days off here in December and plan to ride locally. I also have a project in Mammoth next to the bridge under chair 15 and plan to get some days in around getting the job done. Also I'm hitting up Crystal Mountain in Feb for my 40th Birthday. A present from me to me! I will post here when and where I plan to ride and hope to hook up with like minded riders as "Terrain Parks" just don't do it for me. Go fast and leave a deep groove!:eplus2:

Hey slopestar, welcome to BOL, the carver's connection!! There are quite few of us that ride Summit on a fairly regular basis. Like Terryw said, pay attention here and you will find out when ppl are heading up. Last year we had a day with nearly 20 carvers on the hill. That day was a blast!!

Make sure you come out and join us.

AAron

Hey slopestar, welcome to BOL, the carver's connection!! There are quite few of us that ride Summit on a fairly regular basis. Like Terryw said, pay attention here and you will find out when ppl are heading up. Last year we had a day with nearly 20 carvers on the hill. That day was a blast!!

Make sure you come out and join us.

AAron

Will do for sure! I mostly go to Mtn High, but I will go the distance up to Summit for people to ride with

Slopestar- You've probably seen me before if you ride MH east regularly..I was "sick" quite a bit last year. ;)

I've got a big orange coiler, and have been referred to as a "carving hippie freak" by another hardbooter.

We'll be sure to ride together, you're welcome to try anything in my teeny quiver. I've got a 170 Surfrodz prototype that needs riding, still haven't touched it so I have no clue how good it is, but I'm supposed to pass it around a little.

Theo

post-7057-141842290145_thumb.jpg

Hey Slopes, I see you live in Costa Mesa. I live in Santa Ana on the weekends. I plan to spend a lot of time in Mammoth this season since I have a season pass, but I'll get a few days in the local resorts too. Finally, someone to carpool with :1luvu:

Bottom right in that photo!

I wasn't on hardboots then however.

My dad (right above me with silver virus) and I usually ride at summit and mammoth on the weekends.

We always post on the SoCal thread before going up, be sure to start checking it december! :biggthump

I guess that makes me.... number 5!

I don't think I have been more excited about snowboarding since fall of 1990' when I got the waiter job with housing at Crystal Mtn. Looks like alot of great people here. I am looking forward to meeting new friends and a fresh way at looking at snowboarding! Thank you all!:1luvu:

Slopestar, There are about 25-30 riders in the LA / OC area that post on BOL. A few of us are also based out of OC (Huntington Beach, Santa Ana, Fountain Valley, Newport areas). I am currently on a foreign work assignment but make it back a couple times a year. If your schedule/family committments allow, you might consider to check out June Mountain. Worth the trip if you can swing it. People usually post if they are heading up. See you on the mountain! Tom

Snow Summit carver here.

I kind of got turned off from Mt. High after my first season on hardboots with a season pass there. I never made it to the East side unfortunately. My experience with the mountain, people, and younger staff on the West side was less than stellar.

I moved to carving up at Snow Summit after I got my money's worth from my season pass at High, and never bothered going to the East side, I was just turned off by everything.

Theo (KingCrimson) and GeorgeS have had much better experiences than me and still board up there.

In any case, the drive up to Big Bear is a lot more fun too. I get to "carve" the mountain on the way up, carve the slopes with my snowboard, and "carve" the mountain again on the way down.

East Side is alot more fun for "us". I always have a great time over there. I have a friend that has a cabin in arrow bear so we get up to Snow Valley sometimes. I'll try to make the trip up to Summit.

gdboytyler (erwin) lives out in San Pedro and makes it up to Summit. Carvingchef and arclite live in west holly wood/woodland hills and make it up to Summit too. I'm out in the Pomona area and go to Summit as well.

if you're using the cabin, you gotta make it up to Summit. I'm sure at least some of the crew will be up there, especially if it's a Sunday. :biggthump

Hi Slopestar

I'm the other MH east rider here. Maybe this season we'll have more than

two hardbooters at east at the same time. I ride there weekends and the odd

day off. Post up here when you are going.

Like Theo said, west is pretty good at night or late afternoon, just stay on the steeper runs and use chairs 5 and 6 more than the quad. I got there at 3 pm one spring day and some of the runs off of chair 5 looked like untracked

freshly groomed spring snow.

I also go to Summit a bit, with our family having 3 birthdays in December we take advantage of the free birthday passes.

Look here for the carve sessions at Summit, it's always fun riding with a group

and the grooming there is the better than MH. I think I was there about 7 times last year.

"Snow Summit carver here.

My experience with the mountain, people, and younger staff on the West side was less than stellar."

Hey Albert was this 3 years ago when I saw you and Chris there? If I recall

some of the older staff was pretty cool.:cool:

You should give east a try.

Hey Albert was this 3 years ago when I saw you and Chris there? If I recall

some of the older staff was pretty cool.:cool:

You should give east a try.

Hehe, hence my emphasis on the younger staff. I think you were the only cool guy I ran into there. One of the lift operators kept making me take my pack off when getting on the lift, even though I was always riding solo on a three seater lift for Conquest...

Anyway, as Theo mentioned, night boarding is pretty fun up there. I went two or three times before at night. They have it almost everyday too, so that's some good fun there.

Maybe I'll hit up the East side later in the year when coverage is good.

Oooh word of caution..Don't carve on Wyatt. It's like riding a black motorcycle without the lights on after a football game while swerving on the freeway in a dense fog.

The safest bets are (ironically) Calamity, Vertigo, and the hidden steeps (easy to miss, hard to carve!)

East is fantastic all around! I prefer it to Snow Summit. There, I said it!

Most of the staff is pretty good, and I've gone enough we're on a first name basis. Surprising because I blend in so well ;)

Also, if you're lucky enough you'll catch Dave P. on hardboots..He's been instructing carving longer than I've been breathing.

East is fantastic all around! I prefer it to Snow Summit. There, I said it!

Nothing wrong with that. I've never been on East. And the time that I had my season pass, well, all the snow making was focused on West, and East never opened in time before I got thoroughly pissed and moved to Summit for the rest of the season after riding with Aaron one day...

All of that said, I intend to make a trip up to East this season for a little change of scenery. Give us a heads up once they have some good coverage going.

Hi guys,

I really look forward ride with some more carvers this year. Although my crazy fast skiing wife is fun, but dominating a few runs with some brothers (and sisters) in arms would be fun.

As I write this post I have not checked Summit conditions. I am so hyped to get on the mountain.

Lets keep this post going and make something happen.:biggthump