Note to New Members ×

US ski trip questions

energyrail

You specifically asked about Tahoe. Here is what I've done on past trips to Tahoe. I've stayed at South Lake Tahoe right below Heavenly. I spend time at Heavenly but make side trips to other places. There is a shuttle to Kirkwood. A fun side trip is to Squaw Valley. You ride a bus over in the AM and get back in the evening on the Tahoe Queen paddlewheeler. Music, dancing, dining, drinking as you watch the beauty of Lake Tahoe drift by. We have a super time. You might want to fly into Reno and rent a car or small suv. I've done South Lake Tahoe without a car but I like the mobility and spontaniety a car allows. Find the TahoeCarvers website. They have a lot to offer.

+1 to Corey - if you have the means and you've got the 2nd week in February clear, hit up SES.

I've always wanted to ride Jackson Hole, so that would be where I'd head as my 2nd choice. That's a completely baseless recommendation as I've never set foot in the place, so take it with a bucket of salt.

Jackson hole is a great place to go, if you can ride trees, bumps, narrow chutes, big powder (if it snows). But for a carving trip, nope, probably wouldn't recommend it. Plus you are pretty much confined to JH or maybe Snow King unless you have wheels or get a bus over to Grand Targhee.

There are several places in Colorado where you can ski two or three resorts by getting on a bus for a short ride. The Breckenridge area and Vail area ahve a couple good resorts not to far away, and both of them have great big trails awesome for carving, and some off trail stuff to explore.

Salt Lake City, get a rental SUV and you have 8 (i counting from my bad memory) resorts withing 1.5 hours of downtown SLC. Get a cheap hotel room, and there are a couple great brew pubs and restaurants in the downtown area. A good time with some great snow available.

Tahoe North Shore has the more better resorts, MT Rose, Northstar, Alpine Meadows!!! Squaw Valley, Homewood, and Sugar Bowl. all within about 45 minutes driving time of each other. But the social life on the north shore is pretty tame and the hotels/motels are older and limited. I learned how to carve and ride off trail at those resorts, so I'm kind of jaded in that respect.

Tahoe south shore is Heavenly, a great big mountain, that has some pretty interesting terrain if you know where to look, but that's the problem, a visitor won't know where to look. the drive to Kirkwood is about 45 minutes and worth it, but you need the vehicle (or maybe there are buses). Sierra is not a real carve friendly resort and I don't even like it very much in general, always thought they laid out the lifts and runs all wrong (cross slope).

So guess where i have my pass now??

Seen this? http://www.bomberonline.com/ses/index.cfm

That gets my vote for almost any trip that involves alpine snowboarding. Demos, tons of great people, and healthy discounts on lift tickets.

I have to concur. I've spent countless hours looking for the best itinerary for my annual trips and haven't been able to find anything that comes even remotely close.

But, if you can't make the dates of SES, Aspen is still a pretty great place. Plenty of variety, 4 different hills to choose from and good options if the weather comes in.

I've never been out to the Colorado area, but can +3 on the SES destination comment. For the past few years I've drooled at the notion of going if nothing more than to be around a bunch of other HB riders, but also to see if there was anything magical about Aspen, or if it was "just another ski area with hills and lifts". I'm going this year. Paid in full. I have lots of friends who have been allover and they said BIG SKY and Grand Targee were 2 of their faves. FOr me, I think Mamouth CA wins a piece of my heart albeit I only had 5 hours there, but it was one very awesome day!

Then again, there is ECES also... EAST COAST ! lots of great riding here too!