Note to New Members ×

Western Trip, Best Bet Early Season ?

jp1

Alpine Snowboard Western Trip (Dec 8 thru Dec 18)

I have a week of vacation to be used and would like to do a western trip. I have not been out west since I started boarding (skis only) and have always had excellent trips, but not usually early season. I’ll need to go the 2nd or 3rd week in December to avoid Holiday crowds & prices.

Which area(s) would be my best ‘early season bet’ for coverage? I don’t need steeps, trees and gnarly terrain, but would like some wide open bowls and cruisers.

Good grooming is a plus for me as an intermediate Alpine boarder to build the confidence.

Bare bones is good with me, I stayed in Park City @ Chateau Après Lodge (bunkhouse) one year and had a blast, so fancy it don’t need to be.

I know there are smaller areas (less advertised) that are the locals ‘private stash’. I’m more interested in good snow and conditions than anything else.

Are there any early season Alpine Camps? A learning environment in good conditions would be awesome!

Thanks in Advance - jp1

jp1

By early Dec all resorts will be open. Loveland and Abasin have been going the longest and probably have the most terrain open at this point. It is always a fun learning environment at Lovey with the LCI. We always help eachother out with tips and suggestions. We have a lot of fun also and the Cocoa Porter is well deserved after riding. We can get discounts with our passes to help out ticket costs. Oh yeah, the LCI is mostly weekend riders but Lovey doesn't get a lot of crowding. You can possibly find vid of the Loveland Carve Session if you search for it. This will show some of the riders and terrain. I think we have what you seek.

You will probably want to stay in Summit County. You can have whatever type of accommodations you want and have a lot of areas right around you. Lovey, Abasin, Keystone, Breck and Copper are all right there with Vail and Beaver Creek a little farther west on I-70.

Definately post up your plans here so that we know what is going on and when. We can usually get a good group together for weekend slaying.

Ink

Ink, Thanks for the reply. I've stayed in Breck (when I skied) and hit A-Basin, Keystone, Copper, Vail and BC (one day). I surely would not hesitate to go back. I'll let you know what I decide, and if I do Co. I'd love to hook up with the LCI clan :biggthump

Thanks Again, jp1

I believe there is a free shuttle to the Summit Co areas, Abasin, Keystone, Breck, and Copper. I haven't spent much time out there in a while to know for sure but maybe someone else will chime in with more info. Lovey doesn't have any shuttles from anywhere but parking is free.

Lovey 4-paks are available thru 22 Nov 09 at http://www.skiloveland.com/ticketsandpasses/4pak.aspx

I think Copper sells a 4pass also and not sure about the others.

Ink

:confused: Anyone know about shuttles to Loveland, or would I be better off just getting a rental car? ? I'm still up in the air, but seriously leaning towards Co. & Lovey area, and grabbing a couple of 4 packs.

All of the Packages I've seen so far :( cater to party of 2 or more and I'll be alone, but need to commit soon for airfare.

Thanks Again for any Suggestions - jp1

Transport options to Loveland were almost non-existent when I worked there in about 2002 or so... might have improved but I doubt it.

Shame about the dates you're out there mate, I arrive in Co on the 16th and expect to be up in Summit from about the 18th to the 28th.

Any one :confused: If I stay in Silverthorne or Georgetown, I'm assuming I will need a rental car. Will I need 4 wheel drive, and are the rentals there equipped with snow tires?

Also, anyone know of a 'reasonable' place to get a room for a week? I'm a pizza & beer guy don't need anything fancy.

Thanks Again, (I'm computer illiterate) not having much luck getting information on line (or by phone) about rentals, etc.

jp1

I believe there is a free shuttle to the Summit Co areas, Abasin, Keystone, Breck, and Copper. I haven't spent much time out there in a while to know for sure but maybe someone else will chime in with more info. Lovey doesn't have any shuttles from anywhere but parking is free.

Ink

jp1,

The above quote is from post #5 of this thread. Sorry, Lovey is what we call Loveland.

I don't know much about renting cars here as I have my own so no help there. A fwd with good snows is what I have been using for the last 12yrs without much problem. There was a thread on BOL that asked the question of 4wd or fwd in CO. You may want to search on here for that thread.

Off hand I don't know of less expensive hotels since I haven't stayed up there in a long time.

Luxury Inn - silverthorn - is one we used to stay at that was reasonable. Old Chicago restaurant across the parking lot and Bomber just down the street about a mile or less.

I know that there were some in Frisco as well but don't remember names.

Georgetown lodging should be reasonable as well but still no shuttles to Loveland or Summit Co.

I'll see if I can dig up other lodging when I get time. Another thought is to call Bomber headquarters and ask Fin or Michele. They will probably know some since they are local.

Ink

Ink, yes I found that thread last night. I didn't want to bother wasting their time @ Bomber, but did, and talked to Michelle and glad I did ! A little more research and I'll probably be going for a 4 pack or 2. Thanks for the information, I'll keep you posted.

Everything is booked :) and (2) 4 PAK's on the way! Thanks Ink and Michelle @ Bomber for the information :biggthump. Hope to hook up with some locals when I get there & check out the Bomber facility. Bring on the snow :D.

Thanks Again, jp1

fin, I'm planning to stop by Bomber one day to check out the 'Candy Factory' ( and look under the benches for a peek at the SideWinders) and pick up some goodies.

Ink, I'll definately post ahead of time. I'll be staying in Silverthorne, got a rental & 2 four-paks for Loveland. Probably won't use them all, as I'd like to hit some other areas also but figured I can unload what I don't use up.

Thanks ALL - jp1