Note to New Members ×

PSA: Flights to Vancouver for the Winter Games

skategoat

This is mainly aimed at Canadians flying from the East. If anyone is planning to fly to Van for the Games, I suggest you grab your tickets now. Last week, I checked on Air Canada website and the cheapest flights were $379.00 one way from YYZ to YVR. Same with WestJet. Yesterday, I checked again and saw Tango flights for $240 each way. Needless to say, I jumped on them.

Checking again today shows the return flight sold out but the outbound flight is still available for $240. Depending on your day out, you might be able to nab the $240 flight.

Also, with rental cars, you could potentially have a hard time. On Expedia, no one was offering a weekly rate. Only daily rates during that time at $170+ for a full size. I called Avis direct and booked one for $445 for the week. I may not need the car but I booked it nonetheless.

That is all.

just for fun have you checked from the states to vancouver... last time I checked it was cheaper to drive to Burlington VT and fly to Vancouver than doing Montreal vancouver... go figure!

I rarely leave from montreal. This year Colorado trip. Montreal Denver 1590$ and Boston Denver 268 $ total. Well worth the 6 hour drive

My brother is flying from Buffalo to Seattle, visiting friends in Seattle, then driving up to Vancouver/Whistler. He's saving about $2,000 for his family of four by flying through the US. We get hosed so bad in Canada. Taxes and extra charges are something like $135 on my $240 flight.

Makes me pretty happy that I'm driving from Calgary, and crashing on a friend's floor in Van.

Good score on those airfares. I couldn't find anything that low over the summer when I was looking at getting to the East Coast, much less to the Olympics.

I'm staying with relatives in Whistler so I'm all set. I fully expect it to be a zoo. I only have a handful of event tickets but I'm not too worried about seeing events. I'm looking forward to just soaking in the atmosphere. I still have fond memories of Montreal in 1976 (ya, I'm old).

Got flights on points (booked in june) and crashing with my folks in Squamish.

So FYI to those going, there is a restriction on driving the sea-to-sky highway (Van-Whistler). My sister works in Vancouver city communications and I've got a bit of an inside-scoop. Each house or permanent residence will get two passes for vehicles, none for hotel residentes. So you could be forced to use public shuttles/transport.

Something to plan for, as you may not need a car at all.

-Gord

Got flights on points (booked in june) and crashing with my folks in Squamish.

So FYI to those going, there is a restriction on driving the sea-to-sky highway (Van-Whistler). My sister works in Vancouver city communications and I've got a bit of an inside-scoop. Each house or permanent residence will get two passes for vehicles, none for hotel residentes. So you could be forced to use public shuttles/transport.

Something to plan for, as you may not need a car at all.

-Gord

I was checking the transportation plan on the official website and it talks a lot about getting to and from Whistler for events. But what if you have to get there for accommodation? Do you just show an event ticket and get a free shuttle? Can you drag a big suitcase and a snowboard on the bus with you? I hope this gets cleared up soon.

I was checking the transportation plan on the official website and it talks a lot about getting to and from Whistler for events. But what if you have to get there for accommodation? Do you just show an event ticket and get a free shuttle? Can you drag a big suitcase and a snowboard on the bus with you? I hope this gets cleared up soon.

Ya it sounds a bit messed up right now. From what I gather, you can get the shuttle up to Whistler, but as for using hwy 99, sounds like it doesn't matter where you will be staying. The hotel may be able to get you a pass for a vehicle but I'm not sure.

As to the shuttle, it sounds like you show an event ticket, hotel reservation or a volunteer pass and hop on. Not sure on any gear constraints.

-Gord