Note to New Members ×

Bordy says: leave the Swoard in the Scabbard

Jack M

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

First of all I want to say: I don't think, there is ANY UP or DOWN in snowboarding styles. There may be a "I prefer" or "doesn't feel good to me", but no good or bad. And yes, I think there is some in group / out group dynamics in carving, especially in this thread. And I think we should rather fight this than manifest it :rolleyes: Because on both sides of the Atlantic (and the Pacific too ;)) there are great riders and really nice guys. And for sure it's a lot of fun meeting them and sharing the slopes.

And I don't think there is that much difference between the styles... and there can't be. Because no one of us is totally in one style, even if you could separate it in this way. I think everyone is only in his own style, influenced by others, but totally individual. I've been riding for some years now, trying different board types and different styles. And most of them have their advantages and disadvantages. And all of them share the same Physics.

Even more: IMHO There is no necessary depending of riding style and board. There is no problem riding J & P's rotation style with a narrow board, and also not really a problem with any other style on a wider board. Many really good guys did for many years at the beginning of alpine snowboarding. So why finding differences and not finding things in common?! only my humble opinion.

Hey D-Sub,

you guys are way too much on the offense! or is it defense

Speaking only for myself, not a group ;)

Mostly ever this quoted sentence also fit's to the guy it comes from ;). I think, in this thread both sides are, so we should stop arguing about ist, o.k.? Funny thing about it is: When I read again the whole thread, I think there are not that many differences at all.

Have a nice wekend ;)

Tom

Guest boogieman

Did anyone ever try a swoard and are they verry different to other boards or is it just the style they have that allows them to go as low as they go (jaques rillet and patrice frivet)?

Hi,

yes, I did. Maybe more than anybody else, who doesn't own one. See my post on extremecarving.com: http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=985&start=45

In fact, I don't think there are big differences to other boards. I even think, it feels a little bit old-fashioned, which doesn't need to be negative!! The big difference comes from many details, which allowed me to do the deepest and especially best feeling backside ever. Of course this has to do with the width, but also with the overall behaviour of the board. Maybe one could say, that it looks and feels almost like a conventially made board of superior detail quality. A board with great edge grip, snappy turn initialization and a super secure feeling.

Hope, this answer could help you!

Originally posted by boogieman

Did anyone ever try a swoard and are they verry different to other boards or is it just the style they have that allows them to go as low as they go (jaques rillet and patrice frivet)?

Yes, I own a SWOARD, a 168 Hard number 0067.

At first the SWOARD is made for extremecarving. And yes with not so much technique like me you can easily lay down some nice carves at low and fast speeds in steep or less steep terrain in a few houres time. Just do this with the recommended push and pull technique as described at www.swoard.com. The SWOARD is just a board which is in a nichemarket of snowboarding. You like it a lot, or you don't like extremecarving at all. Besides extremecarving, the board can handle a lot more versatile terrain, like bumps, soft snow and hardpack for example. There are other boards which are better in soft snow, there are other boards which are better suitable for bumps, but hey, this board can do all things good, and extremecarving at the best. I find the push and pull technique in combination with laying down carves the nicest carvy thing to do and to see. But that's all personal of course. Every one do his own thing and is enjoying oneselves in this (snowboarding)world.

Greets, Hans.