Note to New Members ×

Western Alpine Snowboard Trip

jp1

Alpine Snowboard Western Trip (mid to late) December 09

I have a week of vacation to be used and would like to do a western trip. I have not been out west since I started boarding (skis only) and have always had excellent trips, but not usually early season. I’ll need to go the 2nd or 3rd week in December to avoid Holiday crowds & prices. Less crowded areas a plus also.

Which area(s) would be my best ‘early season bet’ for coverage? I don’t need steeps, trees and gnarly terrain, but would like some wide open bowls and cruisers.

Good grooming is a plus for me as an intermediate Alpine boarder to build the confidence.

Bare bones is good with me, I stayed in Park City @ Chateau Après Lodge (bunkhouse) one year and had a blast, so fancy it don’t need to be.

I know there are smaller areas (less advertised) that are the locals ‘private stash’ that I would probably be more than happy with. I’m more interested in good snow and conditions than anything else.

Are there any early season Alpine Camps? A learning environment in good conditions would be awesome.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, jp.

Yes, Sun Peaks is a sweet carving resort, usually has good early season snow. You will really improve your skills with a Snowperformance camp as well. The downfall is there are no direct flights from the U.S. which means a 2 1/2 hour shuttle from Kelowna.

Another option would be Mt. Bachelor. Bend has plenty of cheap lodging and the airport is only about 20 minutes away. You could take a lesson with Doug if he is there this season.

• 2 weeks later...

JP- Budget traveler here too with the same early-season itch i've scratched now for a couple of years by flying into denver, renting a car and driving 1.5 hrs to summit county. It's the only guaranteed snow unless you go really west to Mammoth or the NW. Abasin and Loveland already open- check in with Mario and the gang on the Co page of the ride board of BOL. Those guys already railing hard this year. I prefer Loveland - cheap and wide-a$$ open for my scetchy carve work. Closest of the resorts to DIA. Copper Mt. should have several runs in good shape by then. Avoid the weekends, if at all possible. Stay in Silverthorne for less than $100/nt midweek or in Georgetown for about $70.

I'm going farther west to Utah this Dec. to see some new hills and hoping they get snow enough to enjoy.

Good riding...