Note to New Members ×

Plantar Fasciitis and carving ?

Surf Quebec

Hi,

I've seen a doctor last week about a pain in my right foot : Plantar Fasciitis .:confused:

I'll see a physiotherapist next week to get exercises to cure that.

From what I've read on the web, it seems to take a while to get rid of it.

Will Plantar Fasciitis preventfrom carving ?

Since it's not a contact sport but more a a weight shifting kind of sport I hope I'll be ok.

I just visited my podiatrist this morning. I have had custom orthotics for many years now but some platnar fasciitis has flared up these past few months, perhaps because I have been hitting the gym harder in preparation for the upcoming carving season. He definitely recommended an updated orthotic (my current one is 4 years old) as a first step to fixing this, with daily stretching as well.

Stretching and warmup....

Several years ago I suffered from an extended period of plantar fasciitis. I thought it came from landing hard on my heel on the basketball court. I now know my problem came from lack of warming up and stretching the tendons & ligaments from my calf that attach where I was having all the pain. On my own I tried all sorts of gel heel inserts. For me all the cushioning didn't really help the problem go away, just made the pain less severe.

your mileage may vary

I wear altered SuperFeet footbeds in all my shoes and custom orthodics in my ski and board boots. The heels are shimmed on mine to correct pronation. You have to buy good shoes along with the footbeds. For street shoes, New Balance and Dunham's have helped me. Try to catch them on sale and choose a running shoe as opposed to a walking shoe as the running shoe will offer better support. http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMR1123MC.htm.

When I get a new footwear I will also change out the Superfeet.

Get a tennis or golf ball and roll your bare foot on the ball while sitting at your desk. Be on the look out for some Yoga foot stretching exercises.

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/b/2008/04/14/foot-stretches.htm

I went 2 snowboard seasons with Plantars. Never bothered me once carving, in fact I felt better after doing toeside turns.

The usual seems to be a year to 1 1/2 years till complete recovery. It sucks, but there's definitely worse things. The rigid boots worn to bed are the things that helps the most, and stretching it before you hit the floor in the morning.

Funny thing was that when I was out climbing in the mountains, the stretch from going up was very much a factor in relieving the pain, and I guess that would be the same thing for the boots in bed.

The calf tendon has shortened up and is tearing the tendon in the bottom of the foot off the heel, which causes the pain. It's just like tennis elbow.

The good news is that very few people seem to get it a second time.