Note to New Members ×

Koflach "Superpipes"

Rob Stevens

I want to find a rigid sole softboot.

The Driver X by Burton is almost there, but the sole still flexes.

Does anyone know of, or have, a pair of these "vintage" Koflachs for sale?

I used to use Koflach Hunters. The sole was great-super stiff and responsive, but the upper was very short and unsupportive. The Superpipes had a much higher "spoiler".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian... If anyone can help me, it would be you.

I am a 27.5 - 28 (a 9 or 10) depending on the manufacturer. I should probably be in a 10, just for comfort's sake.

I will be shaving the lips off the heel and toe and undercutting them to a certain degree to eliminate overhang, so they will be used exclusively in soft bindings.

Hi Rob, no promises, I will look through some of the items I can access and see what I have. I know I have a pair or two, however, I try to buy in my size. I did something similar back in the day. I used some Valuga (SP) climbing boots in soft bindings to climb and snowboard off the summit of Mt Hood in the 80s. It was a little hokey , but it worked well with the crampons.

If I recall correctly, Oxygen, picked up the molds and built an all black pair of boots like the "Super Pipe". They might be more common?

Some of the heavy leather tele boots might work too? Beefy upper cuff, take a grinder to the 3tab?

Bryan

Rob can you gorilla glue some scroll saw custom cut basswood 3 ply sheeting to the inside under the footbed and achieve the same results?

:lol:

I saw a pair at Play it again sports in Latham NY a month ago in the Hiking section. assuming those are what you are talking about.

If u have a Picture, it would help.

Hey Rob, I have a pair of these, 9.5 (?) in my garage. a bit beat up. I hacked the heels off at an angle, figured that one out on the 1st day on them. they are blue tops and black bottoms. I do miss a solid shank thick soft boot but with a soft rubber sole. another good solution is to run a step in boot (from a non highback step in binding) in a soft binding, does a similar thing.

I was toying with the idea of repairing the Kastingers (almost the same thing) to use them as soft boots and maybe powder hard boots.

There are only 2 cons:

1) I don't think that the hotheads at my snow school would really accept them as soft boots (unless you want to back me up?);

2) See the pic...

post-1678-141842286439_thumb.jpg

I was toying with the idea of repairing the Kastingers (almost the same thing) to use them as soft boots and maybe powder hard boots. Those are the other boots that came to mind!

There are only 2 cons:

1) I don't think that the hotheads at my snow school would really accept them as soft boots Sew some padded leather "Outers" on them.

2) See the pic..Noooooo!!!.Fabreeze PLEASE!!!

Great photo!!

Ahhhh...

I love a happy ending.

My Superpipes held up for about six years of HARD riding. The first set of binders I used Elfgen binders with elfgen tongues on them too for a more pressure dispersion.

Then the Nitro stiff freestyle binders (black and gold) for a few more years.

Until there was no padding at all left in the heel. :mad:

Oh well. Onward and upward.

Ahhhh...

I love a happy ending.

My Superpipes held up for about six years of HARD riding. The first set of binders I used Elfgen binders with elfgen tongues on them too for a more pressure dispersion.

Then the Nitro stiff freestyle binders (black and gold) for a few more years.

Until there was no padding at all left in the heel. :mad:

Oh well. Onward and upward.

The CX 911 Elfgin was really ahead of it's time. The tongues were really the fore-runner of the Flow concept. It is just hard to break into the market with somethat looks different.

Elfgin and Nitro were attached at the hip back then. The black one looked so good on the Nitro Pow Pow!!!

Hi Bryan,

Yea, it sounds like they should fit him but if he can get a satisfactory older pair in Canada from MJB then that might be more cost effective.

Anyway, looking forward to making some turns with you this winter.

Your's sound awefully good though!! :biggthump

Yes indeed, I am going to do my best to show up in your play ground regularly!!:1luvu: Plus I have to figure out how to get more of that good cooking!!! :D ;)

Hint "tofu roll/rice/carrot/ginger/spicey sause thingy" those are soooo good. I still remember the look on her face when I took a huge helping of the sause.

{like; BRYAN, that is a very strong , as in use just a little , kinda sause} Sorry, getting off track, funny what we remember.

I was toying with the idea of repairing the Kastingers (almost the same thing) to use them as soft boots and maybe powder hard boots.

Had Identical Kastingers back in 'The Day'

Really liked em though the 'nubs' worked well with only some plate bindings. (My old SnowPro's worked fine with em... my Burton's were sketchy).

Since I now ride mostly AT boots, and 'easy-walking' is a major criterion, I'd ride lace-up hybrids again if they still made em. (I'm not afraid of minor mods to boot shells now!)

Peace

BB

A pair of ice climbing (or mountaineering) boots might be pretty similar to what you are looking for. The boots soles would be completely rigid as it has to hold a crampon. You'd just need to make sure it came high enough up your calf to function well in the SB binding.

Some brands are "La Sportiva" and "Scarpa"

Dave

Most of the modern double boots I've seen have a pretty low ankle cuff.

That's why I like this model so much.

I used to use low ankle DB's once upon a time, but my pain threshold was probably twice what it is now... Mostly from not knowing any better.

The ultimate hybrid for me would be a well padded boot with soft forward and side to side flex, very solid spoiler for forward lean that would not break down and a solid plastic footbox with proper Vibram sole.

The Driver X from B looks close but the Vibram flexes and the ankle is as stiff as some hardboots I've tried on.

The sensation (and discomfort) I'm trying to get away from is the feeling that the sole of your foot is bending. Normally, you might try and combat this by cranking the instep strap down. This of course crushes your foot and cuts off circulation making the problem worse.

Dave E did mention putting something under the footbed. I thought of trying carbon fiber footboards in 32 TM2's which are (were) extraordinary boots... just very flexible in the sole.