Note to New Members ×

Half Dome

shawndoggy

there used to be a couple others - but that was 15 years ago...

Muir and Glacier point routes (IIRC)- longer but less steep...

Glacier point had some different views and was worth the extra distance

Oh, you mean the easy way (IIRC, Glacier point is similar distance but cuts out about 2000k vertical)? :) No, we hiked from the bottom, with the full 4,800' vertical climb over 7.2 miles. Muir is the same vertical, just adds a mile of much less rocky trail. Travelling with kids, they scamper up and down the rocks like squirrels, so we chose the Mist trail.

This time of year I always take the Mist trail. Up and down. If its really wet on the way up, I'd consider coming down the Muir trail but the last time I did that it seemed like a really felt that extra mile. I didn't make it up half dome this year. Its a great hike. Congrats to your daughter for making it all the way up. I haven't gotten my kids up there yet. I keep wanting to take them but haven't gotten my act together.

This coming weekend there's free admission to Yosemite.

This time of year I always take the Mist trail. Up and down. If its really wet on the way up, I'd consider coming down the Muir trail but the last time I did that it seemed like a really felt that extra mile. I didn't make it up half dome this year. Its a great hike. Congrats to your daughter for making it all the way up. I haven't gotten my kids up there yet. I keep wanting to take them but haven't gotten my act together.

This coming weekend there's free admission to Yosemite.

Wasn't wet at all... it's August after all. Tallac is a great hike for kids too if you're near Tahoe. Fewer people, less hairball, dare I say better views?, and a more reasonable (but still significant) length/vert.

I can see why there are so many ski pics from Tallac on TGR in the winter....

Hey! I just did Tallac a week ago! Kind of sucks when two of the friends you took up with you are siblings and they just bicker at each other through the whole trip, though. But yeah, sweet 360 view :lurk: I always almost give up on the switchbacks.

Although my family has the experience, I've still not had the chance to see Half Dome yet :(