Note to New Members ×

Morton's Neuroma

Steve Dold

Have any of you had problems with Morton's Neuroma? I just found out that it's what's been causing me some pretty impressive right (rear) foot pain for several years now (I put a lot of weight on my rear foot when I ride).

It's great to finally know what the problem is, but now I have three choices: Do nothing, Cortisone shots, or surgery.

Have any of you had the surgery? I'm wondering what to expect as far as riding in hardboots afterwards, if the surgery caused other problems, length of time before being able to ride, etc.

Steve

Never heard of it Steve, allot going on in the foot for sure!!

It is good to know what is going on. I wouldn't be in too big a hurt for surgery. Had my share over the past couple years and it is no fun.

Maybe get the shot just before the season, then toward the end of this coming season go under the knife? Hoping you will be good for the next?

Mean-while exhaust the alternatives?

Wishing you well.

Bryan

Within past two years:

Broken arm

Broken leg

Broken ribs

Broken back

Damn!!!

I am in general not a fan of surgery. This one however is an outpatient procedure that will not have you down for long. not much else works well. a good soft orthotic can alleviate the pain but soft orthotics don't work as well in hardboots. do the surgery this summer and you'll likely be ready roll long before the season:biggthump

I am in general not a fan of surgery. This one however is an outpatient procedure that will not have you down for long. not much else works well. a good soft orthotic can alleviate the pain but soft orthotics don't work as well in hardboots. do the surgery this summer and you'll likely be ready roll long before the season:biggthump

That sounds like great news for Steve.

I have experience with a Neuroma (Morton's). A few years ago I had surgery on my left foot (I'm regular) and the incision was near the base of the third toe, on the top of the foot. Intense pinching sensations made worse by unpredictability. That's how I remember it. I'd gone the route of several cortisone shots before deciding to have the surgery and now with the benefit of hindsight, I'd skip the shots were I to do it over.

After surgery, I experienced sensations that very closely resembled those that sent me to the doctor in the first place. They subsided after a couple of months. No loss of motor function or temp sensitivity/feeling. I always theorized that I developed the Neuroma due to the straps on old soft bindings and what I'd do to my feet to work the board. Things were awful. Hope things work out as well for you.

but have found that a golf ball massage of the ball of the foot(area of pain) will make it subside for some time. I find I have to do this once every two months or so, whenever it flairs up. Imagine almost standing on the golf ball, then working it in circles underfoot. Yes, it hurts, but only for a bit. Do it a few times, then it's gone for a while. If this is all it takes for me, surgery is not an option.

Wow, Bryan. That's a lot of injuries! Are you doing OK now and will you be riding this next season? I was hoping to get up there for next year's OES and see Doug and Carol again and meet some of you guys.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe I don't have to live with this after all, that would sure be a good deal. I think I'll go talk to the doc about it. Meanwhile I'll try the golf ball thing. I get the pain while cycling too so I might see some results doing that.

Wow, Bryan. That's a lot of injuries! Are you doing OK now and will you be riding this next season? I was hoping to get up there for next year's OES and see Doug and Carol again and meet some of you guys.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Maybe I don't have to live with this after all, that would sure be a good deal. I think I'll go talk to the doc about it. Meanwhile I'll try the golf ball thing. I get the pain while cycling too so I might see some results doing that.

Hi Steve, yes, it has been a rough couple of years. It has been problematic to say the least. I rode for 20+ years without a serious injury. Can't help but wonder. In my 50s now I need to slow this trend down ;) or my days will be limited.

By all means, come and visit the PNW next season. It would be great to meet you. I plan to be riding, the question is at what level and what kind of shape I can get back to. None of the injuries have just gone away. They have had an accumilative effect for sure.

Take care, and heal well!! Bryan

• 5 weeks later...
but have found that a golf ball massage of the ball of the foot(area of pain) will make it subside for some time.
Hey Jon, I have an appointment to see the doc in two weeks, but in the meantime I've been doing this and it seems to help a lot! Thanks for the idea.

• 2 months later...

I still can't believe it, but my insurance paid for my podiatrist to make custom orthotics for my AF-600s! He made molds of my feet and mailed them, along with my hardboots, to a company that makes the things. I never imagined my insurance would pay for these. I guess they figure it'll be cheaper than an operation.

So I'll try these and the shots before looking at the operation.

I hope that it works out also, Steve. Remember though, while it might not be your first choice, surgery is an option. I can only attest to the fact that prior to my surgery, I had a case that was steadily increasing in severity. After surgery, I had some initial "sensations" in my foot that were similar and then, all discomfort ceased. I've had no recurrence and have normal motor function and sensitization in the foot.

I never tried the golf ball technique but did regularly massage the foot, to little effect. Cortisone shots were regrettable and if I were to do anything differently, that'd be it. Hope things are resolved for you with the orthotics and I hope you'll continue to update. As someone that had the same issue, it's very interesting.

• 2 months later...
I still can't believe it, but my insurance paid for my podiatrist to make custom orthotics for my AF-600s! He made molds of my feet and mailed them, along with my hardboots, to a company that makes the things. I never imagined my insurance would pay for these. I guess they figure it'll be cheaper than an operation.

So I'll try these and the shots before looking at the operation.

You are so lucky to get those orthotics; I am a nurse in Folsom, and work with disabled kids with all sorts of orthotics. But the reason I am on this site is that I have 3 boys that carve and also love flying! I wanted to ask you to become our friend and let me hire you to teach them to carve and to fly! My oldest son, 17, suffers from MN in his foot also, it comes and goes--it flared up at the onset of dryland practice and lasted 3+ weeks, not reoccuring since november. How are the orthotics working? Are they hard plastic? My son has been referred to a Podiatrist, but the pain subsided a few weeks ago....

OTR - I would like to ask if you would consider taking my son(s) up for a lesson/ride in your plane sometime? Maybe pick us up in Cameron Park? This son is interested in going to Aviation school at U of Arizona next year (if I could afford it, as a single mother, I wonder what it costs...), but is also torn between U of Reno to compete and train with their race team. He has potential, placed 4th at`States in Mammoth last year when a junior in HS.

My middle son, 15, is also a passionate carver and loves flying--got a flight lesson for his B-day last month at Placerville airport; this weekend he earned a silver and bronze in the USASA courses at Donner. He races on Burton Coiler, B bindings and B boots. My other son races in UPZ on F2's with snow pros. I buy all our gear on the forum here!

I am looking for help! Looking for someone to come to Sierra at Tahoe and tutor them for a few hours on some Saturdays this next 10 weeks during training. I have sent them to Mt Hood the lasst 2 summers but they don't get much there except from 9a - 11a (MHSSC and HCSC) for 4 days. I thought I would ask you guys to spread the word or direct me to where i can advertise. Last year I met Shawn Cassidy, he coached my sons one weekend at Sierra At Tahoe, stayed at a condo in SLT... it was so awesome! Really pumped the kids up to have a "pro" come give them pointers!

smiles, suzi and boyz

OTR - I would like to ask if you would consider taking my son(s) up for a lesson/ride in your plane sometime?
Hi Suzi, I'm not doing any flying right now due to an impossible work schedule. My wife is unhappy right now because she loves flying and I haven't taken her up in about 4 months. Let's talk about it in the spring if he's still interested, it should have eased up by then.

I haven't even been snowboarding once yet this season, and there have been some great conditions :( I'm hoping to get up at the end of the month sometime. I hate this.

So I can't report on the orthotics, although I did pick them up finally. They are padded plastic, maybe 1/2 inch thick at the thickest part.