Note to New Members ×

US team sucks.

Bordy

They brought golf to the masses with Palmer in the 60's and have revamped it with Tiger. Golf is pretty boring to watch on TV. I mean, I have tried to watch it many times (I worked for IMG for a good stint so I HAD to...) and I can never even see the little ball flying through the air. WTF? People watch it in droves! And it's very, very slow action. Alpine riding is waaaay more fun to watch imho. Maybe my TV is too old and small to see the little ball??? Anyway, clearly some big sports marketing company needs to be coerced into this project.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone in the governing body of US Snowboarding needs to call Brian France. He's located in Daytona, FL. Whether you like NASCAR or not, it's got some of the best marketing prowess going.....If you ever wanted World Cup Snowboard racing to reach the masses, France and his friends could do it, with BIG CROWDS! Oh, one LAST thing, you have to have a hero get killed once in a while to keep the marketing scheme going! It's as close to Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) as you can get without signing a check that you'll never see again and having a garage full of product you can't sell. But, you'll grow the sport.

Mark

I'm all for the growth of the sport..........but, I'm not sure if I want this guy near an alpine board....

33lfhxj.jpg

Erik J, you are banned from this site for the next 5 minutes. :barf: ;)

I stand by my statement....but I will admit that the delivery of that statement was unglier than sin. :)

Like a trainwreck, the picture draws you into its gruesome grip. MMMWUUHAHA!

I would say it is no more boring to watch than ski racing, or bobsled, biathalon, short-track speed skating, curling, or any other fringe sport that as far as 99.9% of people know only happens once every 4 years. Unfortunately I think sports like these are marketable primarily to people who participate in them, and then also during the Olympics. So again that leaves alpine with relatively no interest.

As somebody who really, really loves carving an alpine snowboard, I have to say I find watching a snowboard PGS even more boring than bobsled, biathlon, short track speed skating, or even curling. Yeah, even curling; the strategy of where they place guard stones, the precision of curling stones around other blocking stones, intricate plays where they'll knock a stone out of the way and hide the new one behind a guard - those are all actually totally awesome to see played out :)

I think the main reason I don't enjoy watching snowboard PGS is that the skills I have developed freecarving have nothing to do with racing. I guess the equipment is roughly the same, but aside from that it's all different. I can't tell who has good technique, who has bad, why one guy is faster and one guy slower. To me they are all frantically trying to switch edges as fast and powerfully as humanly possible. I can look at skiers doing slalom and see that some are graceful and some are powerful, and watch them shift their weight back and forth from their tips to their heels, and in the downhill event, I can see where they are putting their weight, and I can see little bobbles in their form as they desperately try to hold an edge, but for some reason I can't tell what they hell the snowboarders are doing. I don't know why, especially since I can't ski.

I find most ski events fairly boring to watch as well, except the downhill. BTW, why is there no downhill alpine snowboarding event? It seems like getting people on massive 2m alpine boards and having them hurtle down the mountain at 60 mph would be pretty awesome to watch.

Yeah, even curling; the strategy of where they place guard stones, the precision of curling stones around other blocking stones, intricate plays where they'll knock a stone out of the way and hide the new one behind a guard - those are all actually totally awesome to see played out :)

You know how I know you're Canadian?

DH... after watching Bordy nearly straightline some black diamonds at Sugarloaf ECES 06, I'm not sure why we couldn't at least have Super-G.

I remember talking to Rebag not to long after Nagano about super G ,he wanted to have a course with high banked turns balls out tour.Only a few canadian takers. I would love to see it,maybe have it BX style run a few guys at once. I am sure it would be exciting to see.

Tinks.

Guys: Have you ever considered that the Alpine course is layed out all wrong? If gates were placed in a way that all turns were carves it would be much more interesting to watch. I watched the races with Terry English and Frank Moreles and we thought the same thing. The course is set by skiers. It does not show our sport the way it should be. Serious carves, even a little up hill and round house turns in the opiset direction would be great to watch! IMHO Tim

Guys: Have you ever considered that the Alpine course is layed out all wrong? If gates were placed in a way that all turns were carves it would be much more interesting to watch. I watched the races with Terry English and Frank Moreles and we thought the same thing. The course is set by skiers. It does not show our sport the way it should be. Serious carves, even a little up hill and round house turns in the opiset direction would be great to watch! IMHO Tim

Tim All the courses are set by us coaches, we are all snowboarders.

The riders are trying to carve every turn but it just never looks pretty on TV. I would love to make it more TV friendly, Maybe we should just make all the girls ride in bikinis.... Thats why I watch surfing after all.

Hope your having a great summer, I look foward to seeing you when the snow falls....

Yes! Introduce the STS (STrip Slalom): As the heats progress, the competitoresses have to ware one layer less in each heat, towards the Full Monthy in the finals. This is just to help with the increased heat in higher heats, of course ;)