Note to New Members ×

Video dudes... looking for some editing advice for next year

shawndoggy

I think I've got the on-board camera thing worked out and I'm considering getting a second little camera (probably another gopro) so I could run two simultaneous angles. Seems like it would be cool to do picture in picture from each angle. Here's a very crude example of what I'm talking about:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrHNhib6ams&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrHNhib6ams&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So here's the question... is there any PC-based video editing software out there that lets you do this easily and allows the size of the inset portion of the video to be increased? Ideally, I'd just like a slider bar that lets me adjust the size of each camera angle on the fly.

So here's the question... is there any PC-based video editing software out there that lets you do this easily and allows the size of the inset portion of the video to be increased? Ideally, I'd just like a slider bar that lets me adjust the size of each camera angle on the fly.

My 2 cents, get a mac.

Shawndoggy.

There are many video editing options for the PC, and programs that do video compositing well too. Unfortunately I have not seen any consumer-level programs that are capable of doing this real-time scaling/positioning of layered video while ALSO during real-time video playback.

Never worked with Sony Vegas, so can't comment on that one. The last time I used Final Cut Pro on a Mac, a real-time playback with effects still required a lengthy ram preview - and a $5,000 Kona video card was necessary to get output to a broadcast monitor.

Newtek has a product called "TriCaster", an enhanced video switcher which is marketed towards presenters doing live video events. A bit over-the-top for what you want to do, but I know it WILL do the live video overlays/pullups, etc, you are trying to achieve. Starts at $5,000 - (assuming that your current system is up to their spec.)

Adobe After Effects is a very powerful compositing package. While it will do layered video and export to most any size/shape/format...It's probably not the best option for long video, and certainly isn't real-time... or what I'd call quick and easy.

Check out the Adobe Premiere "Elements" version.

There is a often a free trial version of the software you can download..

Do a test and see how well it will scale/position your layered video.

Hope that's been more insightful than "get a Mac." *Sheesh*

By the way - I've really enjoyed watching your videos!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Karl

(Currently using Avid Media Composer, After Effects, Combustion)

Hope that's been more insightful than "get a Mac." *Sheesh*

Totally! Thanks!

I've tried Pinnacle Studio and the Corel product and they both seem pretty difficult as compared to Windows Movie Maker (say what you will... it's the easiest program to become proficient with quickly).

I've got a canon vixia hf100 which shoots HD in avchd, though, and movie maker can't process that format, so I've had to mess with the other programs. Elements is one of the programs that will process AVCHD, so it's on my list.

Maybe it's time to try vegas again. When I tried last summer it was really really slow and crashed like crazy.

I used Vegas at school on occassion, it is most definitely moody.

Here's the trick I always used. I'd open WINE, the emulator I used to run Windows programs with Linux (there is a Linux machine at school that is more or less mine) with the terminal instead of the GUI, and every time Vegas would crash, I could see the terminal output and figure what NOT to do. It may just take some time to figure out causes it to crash, but when you do, it's very useful.

It should not crash like that, i've been on Vegas like 4+ years now and editing DVD stuff for 60 minutes and HD stuff for 24+ minutes without any crashes.

But i'm on PC with Intel :rolleyes:

Yeah me too -- Q6600

Are you editing avchd?

Never messed with vegas for the plain vanilla avi files.. Have always used movie maker for that.

Pinnacle Studio will do all P-in-P and let you play with the size and positioning, and it's definitely only consumer grade -- you can get version 12 (the latest) for a little over $100. If it weren't buggy and crashing all the time, I could say that I highly recommend it. Instead, it's the devil I know, so I keep using it and learn to live with bugs and crashing...

I've done lot's of youtube vids of snowboarding and other outdoor pursuits. I only used P-in-P once to overlay a series of stills over background video, but it could just as easily have been video over video.

You can check out my youtube channel to see what Studio can do for you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnasmo

Everything there has been shot on <$200 compact cameras and processed with Studio. Mostly a Cannon SD1000 Elph, but this year an SD1100IS and a Panasonic TZ5. Still just pocket cameras, no camcorders.

The P-in-P is near the end of this family video of my Niece and Nephew visiting a while back:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a try using Ulead VideoStudio11:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDgBVjGd94&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDgBVjGd94&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm using a Canon vixia HF100 HD cam on a tripod. The camera shoots in avchd. Which is a major PITA. I've taken to converting to xvid files in an avi container before editing. And then to add insult to injury, Ulead won't let me trim avi files... so I'm doing that in Picasa of all things.

End result is published in wmv format which uploads to youtube like a champ... no processing at all as far as I could tell.