Note to New Members ×

skimboard anyone ?

DjulezD

I am considering buying a new one since I broke mine two years ago. I would honestly describe myself as an advanced rider, both on wave and flat.

I checked out here

http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/buyers_guide/skimboards.htm

So far, I am considering Victoria. But I am intrigued by the new shape/construction developed by Maui Skimmers.

Anybody here who can offer advice ?

Thanks

:1luvu:

but I'd be very interested in knowing what you decide, and what you think of the board once ridden.

I'm interested in making a poplar/glass board using the cross-lattice torsion box construction method pioneered by wood surfboard guru Roy Stewart @ Olosurfer.com.

Have done some rudimentary skateboard vacuum bagging and am also curious about using that construction method on a foam/carbon composite board for my son..

Your impressions/observations through the summer would be much appreciated.

Thanks and happy sailing

BB

My first skimboard was a Western Flyer, but they are no longer in existence. I've had a Victoria and loved it. It probably depends more for what you want to use it for. Victorias have a lot more surface area in general so you can plane out to the waves easier, but are a bit combersome for flatwater. Zaps are great for flatwater and can still carve but they take a bit more effort getting out to the break because of their shorter sizes. If you do a lot of wave riding then go with the victoria, more flatwater, Zap.

http://www.zapskimboards.com/index.cfm

Thanks all for the answers. I'll probably go for one of the victoria boards (foam resin construction).

Photodad: I am definitely looking for a wave oriented board for myself, but would like to preserve some ability to ride on flats if the kids want to give it a try. That's the dilemma in fact. Versatility matters.

Maui skimmers are more like short surfboards: thicker with a big tail and a long rockered nose. They even do a wakeboard inspired shape. Considering I will be riding on a rather powerful shorebreak, this is appealing, but probably still an overkill and almost useless on smaller waves and flats.

Boarderboy: my previous skim was custom made by a local shaper. I believe it was a wood/foam/resin cap construction. Very similar to the foam skimboards available now in thickness, length. A little more heavy and less rocker probably. It also had a square tail. The same shaper also made a few skimboards with the same construction as a surfboard and I got to try these as well.

Mine worked great on flats, no discussion to that. Very fast, long rides, good for tricks too. On waves, it was good for bottom-ups and jumps on small to mid-size waves (0.5-1.5 m) breaking on the shore. Beyond that, it didn't work.

The other one was kind of frustrating: useless on flats, and still very slow on big waves. But you could really surf them with it, provided you took enough speed. That was a long time ago though and when I came across Maui skimmers, it thought I would love to give it a try.

Based on this experience, I am naturally inclined towards a more classic wave oriented skimboard (3/4 or 5/8" thickness). You can still make huge jumps on big shorebreak waves... :cool: