Note to New Members ×

Final Fantasy XIII, anyone?

Wun

Any JRPG gamers around here?

If you haven't caught wind of it yet, a playable FFXIII demo came with the release of Advent Children Complete on the 16th of this month (in Japan, of course).

Oh yeah, for that matter, if you've seen Advent Children and liked it, Advent Children Complete is pretty much an extended cut bluray release if you don't know about that.

Anyway, the youtube cycle is going on right now of demo footage played and recorded by people being uploaded and SE flagging them to get them taken down. I'm sure if you search through enough of the results, you'll be able to find a couple that haven't been removed yet.

Unfortunately for me, I have neither a PS3 nor a 360.

I will be buying a PS3 specifically for that game. It looks to be unbelievable. I loved 12, and I've been waiting for this for years.

Oh, and call me a blasphemer, but FF7 was definitely middle of the pack for me.

three and six, IMO were the best.

the rest cooler maybe but not as egageing

1 started it all (didn't play it till after playing 4 and 6)

2 you could become rediculously over powered in the beginning of the game (and rediculous beyond any measure)

I liked 4, everything fit in a nice well balanced manner.

5 was my favorite because of all the job classes.

6 was cool for so many reasons.

7 was enjoyable, and changed so many things, but NOT the best.

8, 9, 10 - nothing spectacular, just enjoyable (8 was by far the worst of all FFs).

11 was fun, but time consuming and frustrating if you couldn't get a party

12 was like the single player version of 11 with more of a story

never played 3.

P.S. used the Japanese number designations.

yeah, i'm a nerd, haven't followed 13 much though. i'm sure i'll get it and play it.

I will be buying a PS3 specifically for that game.

If I had the money to blow on it, I would be in the same exact boat as you. FF games were the only reason I picked up a PS2 back then.

Anyone know much about modding capabilities for the PS3? I've become accustomed to playing undubs, where people take American versions of games, strip the audio dialogue, and replace it with the original Japanese tracks. Because I don't have a PS3, I have not followed that console at all. If that won't be possible, maybe I can give picking up a Japanese PS3 and FFXIII a whack, though I doubt that four semesters of Japanese classes will let me fly. :smashfrea

I'm also very much in love with what is supposedly the battle theme; really looking forward to Piano Collections sheet music being released so I can hopefully learn it, if it will be included. Sounds like a very adaptable song without much change in tone to me.

• 7 months later...
I equate playing the games to getting stuck in a good book.

or, some may think, to your kid being into magic cards or dressing-up for dungeons and dragons roleplaying, or being in the school chess club, when they should be hanging out with chicks or playing on the sports team:lol:

That was a bit vague.

It was an attempt at self-deprecating humor - like when you're sitting in a school conference at which all your son's teachers, advisers, and support person (and your wife) are present, and someone makes a joke that obviously requires your recognizing the name of some rock group that's all the rage at the moment. And suddenly you realize that in this room - whose occupants range in age from 13 to 50-something - you're the one and only person who's not thoroughly familiar with these musicians... in fact, you've never even heard of them.

So, no, I've never heard of Final Fantasy. Just queried my son, and he has. But he's never "played" (?) it, which is surprising because he'd lose himself in cyberspace 24/7 if we'd let him. And no, I could care less what sports he plays or whether he's obsessed with "chicks." I do want him to be very active so that he stays fit and mentally alert. That's no problem at the moment, though. I also hope he keeps his passion for surfing and snowboarding - again that seems to be no problem.

Sorry for butting into your thread, and yeah, I'm going to check out Final Fantasy and see what I've been missing for almost 20 years.

Peace and Powder to All

BB

p.s. I'd had two, 6.4 beers when I posted. Won't do that again...

haha no worries, none of that went over my head. perhaps the same with Jim, who probably wanted you to be sure that we were talkin' videogames here.

anyway, as you were going off on a tangent, i was further going along with Jim's post just to make a joke, bringing up the stereotypical standpoint of the parent who wants their runt to become a man's man by doing manly things when they're growin' up, in case you didn't catch that.