Note to New Members ×

Don't Order a Coiler

Shred Gruumer

Starting the other season already Jack???

I take it that the Zamboni didn't get built?

It did get built, late as usual and with the unusual cool weather I will be testing tomorrow.

Project name is ANGRRY 160!

It is still curing so it really was last minute.

Will give feedback tomorrow as I have 3 or 4 new boards to test.

Poor Mr Gruumer, he does get a bit miffed if I spend too much time working and not replying to his 679th design change:lol:

BV

It did get built, late as usual and with the unusual cool weather I will be testing tomorrow.

Poor Mr Gruumer, he does get a bit miffed if I spend too much time working and not replying to his 679th design change:lol:

BV

Really looking forward to hearing about this one!

BV

Really looking forward to hearing about this one!

yeah I am too though my bank account may not be....specs and pics are eagerly requested

Preliminary test results are all real good!

The 160 Angrry definitely has some of the spirit of the original Madd 158 ( I spent very little time on an orig but quickly felt the likes and dislikes)

Real quick turning, ability to run longer if wanted , very good grip, launches nicely off tail but in a metal controlled manner

One error was I set the inserts too far forward for the few design mods I did so while riding it in the morning I was having to lean back to hit the sweet spot and that had me chattering a few times where I didn't know if it was the board or the weird weighting I was applying. Later in the day when I put it back on, took one run got pissed off and moved bindings back about 1.5 cm. Much better balanced ride as expected but could no longer test grip on hard snow as it softened up. I expect the hard snow grip to be more balanced now as in the morning I was experiencing the same feel while testing Shreds X4 as it tended to not bite hard between the feet. Will get real cold tonight so it will be tested again on Sun .

One difference was by modifying the design, massive nose pressuring was not at all needed to ride this board. Even in the mashed potatoes late in the session I could carve a line all the way trough by just sitting back a bit. Second last run of the day was taken right under the lift so I could see the lines I was putting down and was surprised at how well it plowed through stuff clumped into reasonably deep soft piles. I found with the original, the nose pressuring was nasty as when you hit something soft leaning forwards it was just too much of a risk. Used full carbon in this one and that will be the factor to see if it works well with a board required to flex that much due to the tighter sidecut. Did this to get he pop but need to test on hard to make sure not too much energy to hold well on ice.

I was the only one to test it as others were testing the longer boards and by the time I got finished, so were the legs of other riders so a real tight turning board did not sound like a good idea especially in soft snow.

Also rode a new VSR FC 168 x 21 x 12m average sidecut. These new VSR FCs have 3 sidecuts but I will just give the single number which is somewhat around the normal use range for the specific model. This is a similar design to the board Pokkis has for his wife and that is also the one my wife tested and really liked. On this model I slightly softened the mid, extended the nose and really squared it off. Carving was no problem and I really enjoyed this board. Csquared tried this one too and likened it to a teenage girlfriend as it really had spirit and required a bit of energy to ride, hmmm, lazy bastard is used to riding NSR type boards with much less turns per run:sleep:

The longer nose I put on to see how far it can be used as an AM board. Has a ton of taper, softer mid section and a big nose. Whaddya know, sounds like an AM model but still carves a seriously stable arc. These boards will be in Tahoe later this week so if it snows, we'll hopefully find out.

Next tested a 177 x 20 x 15m VSR FC. Mega stable as this was a direct descendant of the NSRs but with a bit less carbon and a bit more turn radius. The real proto for this model was a hardboot BX board made up last season , Csquared has it so we did head to head testing and found slight differences but all the happy traits were kept so it was a nice ride. This one could easily double for freecarve and recreational race duties.

Also took a few runs on a a board I consider probably one of the best as an all around big mountain AM model.

182 x 21.5 x 14/15m Monster F1, the F1 means the nose was flipped up one extra cm for a bit more front lift. Even in the late aft mashed stuff, this board was smooth and carved a nice predictable line to make those conditions fun. While at OES we kinda figured this would be the ideal size for all around use and seemed to work very well on our test day. This is a customers board tested before finishing.

Will get some pics after boards are finished this weekend as they all have to go out on Mon. The 3 demo boards will all be going to Tahoe and I look forward to others findings and input as usual.

Actually, here are the pics of the bottoms as tops are yet unfinished and have a few details best kept secret.

L to R

182 x 21.5 Monster

177 x 20 x 15m VSR FC

168 x 21 x 12m VSR FC

Angrry 160 x 19 x 9.5m

2010testboards.jpg[/img]

, hmmm, lazy bastard is used to riding NSR type boards with much less turns per run:sleep:

... I resemble that remark:angryfire

It was great day for testing with an almost unlimited range of conditions. I can't recommend taking that 168 VSR out when you are running out of legs...she'll ride you! However, the other boards were a joy to ride. I especially liked the 177 NSR with generous taper and softer mid section. Not big differences from its predecessor but nice refinements that give it an even more friendly nature. Loved the 182 monster F1 for late afternoon slop stability. I never would have managed the last 10 runs without that magic (by that point in the day I was needing rideagra from my encounter with the energetic little 168). Bruce had the advantage of having consumed two 1/2 pound burgers off the barbecue and a Corona for lunch.

Never rode the Angrry (the name of which was almost changed to "Piste Off" after Bruce took it for an unplanned expedition into the woods off the pitch on "S Cut"). I'm going to wait for the next generation of this one (maybe a little more taper, binding centers corrected, maybe a little softer flex between the feet for true ice conditions). To watch Bruce handle it was inspiring though.

Okay. I have to ask. Could one of those beauties be mine?

Chris K.

aka - The winner of the Coiler at OES 2009.

Nope, all demo boards except for the Monster 182.

Some of these still need a bit of testing as that can often take an entire season to get through all the different weight riders and snow types. Have a good idea of the use range of most of them though.

CK, your board is to be assembled, along with 5 other prize boards , within 2 weeks so we need to discuss details. The 168 VSR FC in a bit narrower like 19 or 20 would be a good call if you like a board on the turny side. Of course there are also

AMs

Stubbies

Monsters

Classics

NSR

and as previously mentioned, the VSR FCs to choose from

Happy Easter,

BV

I see frightening things in your immediate future.

There was this thing at the hill yesterday I at first mistook for a park bench but it turned out to be some kind of crime-against-nature experiment with board shaping. It broke loose and started staggering through the Transylvanian countryside, biting the heads off farm animals and frightening the children of the villagers on their little race skis. Despite its profoundly unnatural shape, it was hard not to feel a certain emphathy for the thing as it lumbered through the mashed potatoes.

I think Bruce left it out of the picture above to spare the delicate sensibilities or our community. Various scientific societies would like to capture and dissect it.

I see frightening things in your immediate future.

There was this thing at the hill yesterday I at first mistook for a park bench but it turned out to be some kind of crime-against-nature experiment with board shaping. It broke loose and started staggering through the Transylvanian countryside, biting the heads off farm animals and frightening the children of the villagers on their little race skis. Despite its profoundly unnatural shape, it was hard not to feel a certain emphathy for the thing as it lumbered through the mashed potatoes.

I think Bruce left it out of the picture above to spare the delicate sensibilities or our community. Various scientific societies would like to capture and dissect it.

It started out as this innocent little template on the left and grew into something of a monstrosity, happenend overnight:eek:

experimantgonebad.jpg[/img]