Note to New Members ×

Sad loss- too young and too much power

C5 Golfer

I do not wish to judge Shane McConkey, but............................He knew that what he did was a very, very dangerous thing to do. It all fine and dandy to hang your balls out when you're single and have no kids. Once you're married and have kids, your desires should take a backseat in favour of your children. It's called sacrifice. Shane McConkey was not willing to sacrifice what gave him the biggest kick in the pants for the sake of his wife and children. As a result, they must now find a way to deal with life without him.

Agreed. I'll judge him: selfish bastard.

Yeah, seems like everyone is afraid of being judgemental or being labeled judgemental. Why?

Let's change the facts a little. Instead of an upscale golf community, say it was a trailer park in the mid west. People would be ragging on the trailer trash parents (no offense trailertrash) not controlling their offspring.

As a parent of a male offspring I have had several occasions where I have had to say no, ain't gonna happen and mean it no matter what and make it stick. ANY parent that buckels to their kid's ultimatum on an important moral or safety issue is part of the problem. To get respect, give respect, and that means to your neighbors, society and your community and to the world at large, to your kids also. To be clear: the parents are at fault but not the siblings. Unless you subscripe to some sort of touchy-feely non-judgemental crap philosophy that says no one is at fault ever. Then the kid was taken too soon through no falut of his own (sob sob crap crap).

After putting the Mercedes in the pond, if he were my kid he would have had to bust thru 2 chains locking the wheels to the frame, and break into the safe to get to the keys in order to drive that cycle. He would not be driving for quite a while after a stunt like that. And he would have lost the priviledge of driving if the neighbors complained at all when he did get the priviledge back.

I am truely sorry that he is dead. But for some fortitude by his parents, he would most likely be alive today. That is a tragedy that the parents and the siblings will have to live with, and the guilt will be terrible. I don't know what I would do with myself under those circumstances. I feel truely sorry for them for their error. I hope they get through this.

Flame on.

Rick

Agreed. I'll judge him: selfish bastard.

And provided for his family by doing so.How would you judge a miner or a soldier or a skyscraper window washer.The only difference? He loved what he did for a living.Hell,most of the miners I know love their work and have known others that died on the job.And even if the stunt had nothing to do with his living...

How will you judge Bruce Varsava if he gets killed kiting? Or a bike racer who loses his life in a race.I can't believe what Complete judgemental BS I'm reading here.Considering the inherent dangers of serious injury and even death through many variables that are only partially in our control in the past time this site is dedicated to,I'm surprised at this statement Jack.If you care that much about being a shining example of responsibility,don't drive your car tommorrow.

BTW,what was he supposed to do,become a carpenter's helper like I have? I can tell you that,for many reasons,it is far and away the most dangerous thing I've ever done for money.

my 2 cents- On might want to consider "recklessness" in evaling a career or hobby or passion sport or plain dumb ass death.

Recklessness- whereby the subject does not desire harmful consequence but foresees the possibility and consciously takes the risk, or alternatively, a state of mind in which a person does not care about the consequences of his or her actions.

How would you judge a miner or a soldier or a skyscraper window washer.The only difference? He loved what he did for a living.Hell,most of the miners I know love their work and have known others that died on the job.And even if the stunt had nothing to do with his living...
The difference is that miners don't work mines because of the thrill of cheating death.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20090410/NEWS01/704109898

Read the comment "why" at the bottom and then see all the flak he takes. Too bad he died, and the affects of his death are far reaching. Did the person who did CPR on this mangled kid leave the house and say "today I think Ill do CPR on a 16 y/o bag of bones in the street." I know some of the medics and Firefighters from SNO7 and I know they would rather have not had the call. Im sure the driver of the car didnt have it on her agenda either and it will leave a life long impression on her. The fact is, the parents are ultimately responsible, no matter how much "experience" this kid had around motorcycles. If they were aware of his past problems, then he should never have been allowed to operate a vehicle until he proved he was responsible enough. I also hear the argument about bikes that go well over 120 mph and why are they necessary. They really arent necessary, any more than a 50 cal is necessary to protect your home or to hunt, but they are allowed just the same. Ultimately it is up to the user to of cars, bikes, guns, skis, snowboards, bicycles etc to use their brains. It is up to us a parents to teach our children that, no they are not entitled to do whatever the hell they want whenever they want or there will be consequences, and those results may end up affecting or harming other people period. But really what kind of example do kids get in life when they see people let off for DUI, movies and tv shows full of rape and murder, executives and politicians that are not held accountable for their malfeasance all on a daily basis? Im no bible thumper, gun lover/hater, conservative/liberal. Im common sense, and in this case, like so many others, it was lacking on many accounts.

After putting the Mercedes in the pond, if he were my kid he would have had to bust thru 2 chains locking the wheels to the frame, and break into the safe to get to the keys in order to drive that cycle. He would not be driving for quite a while after a stunt like that. And he would have lost the priviledge of driving if the neighbors complained at all when he did get the priviledge back.

I am truely sorry that he is dead. But for some fortitude by his parents, he would most likely be alive today. That is a tragedy that the parents and the siblings will have to live with, and the guilt will be terrible. I don't know what I would do with myself under those circumstances. I feel truely sorry for them for their error. I hope they get through this.

Rick

well said!

where is the ditto emoticon?

Wow, it's like the people commenting on that site just don't get it: the stupid shlt was doing 80+ and trying to pass a car on the left. It's amazing how people can defend such stupidity.

"Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer, Nothing is more difficult than to understand him." Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"I am a sick man . . . I am a wicked man. An unatractive man." Fyodor Dostoevsky

I can't let a Dostoevsky quote go unanswered. My favorite 2 lines from any prose.

Rick

Back at ya--

"The secret of man's being is not only to live but to have something to live for. "

Passing on the left @ speed. ****ing Idiot. Dead. Not surprised.

I have no problem with it when people take their own lives in their own hands to catch some thrills, which this kid was clearly doing. I do have a problem with it when people take other peoples lives in their hands, without gaining permission first ... which this kid was also doing.

As someone who commutes by bike in NYC traffic during the summer, I get pretty ****ing irate when some dip**** thinks his right to drive like a ****ing acid casualty is more important than my right to a reasonable expectation of safety. The fact that this kid is dead is well ... unsurprising. I'm glad he didn't kill/cripple/maim anyone else in the process.

I agree with Jack that the parents should be in jail. Hearing the the story about the parents response to the neighbors concerns is not all that shocking these days, but it provides all the insight you need to understand why the kid behaved with such ill-advised reckless abandon and irresponsibility. It's unfortunate that he didn't have the brains to compensate for his own parents stupidity.

I think comparing this guy to Shane McConkey is somewhat ridiculous ... shane McConkey engaged in dangerous acts but only risked his own life in so doing--he did not risk the lives of unwilling participants in so doing--and this kid did.

I'd been in the Navy about a year when I shot photos of my first traffic accident, a Sailor happy to be off work left the parking lot on his motorcycle at high speed and about 1/8 of a mile later impacted a turning car at what was later determined to be +100mph. The bike shattered a toyota corolla's front end, the rider was ejected about 200 yards into a brush covered ravine and wasn't found for 10 minutes thankfully he was killed on impact (with the car) but no one knew that for a long while...I actually watched this accident happen and had my camera with me which was why I ended up documenting it. The poor guy driving the car was a friend of mine, he never got over the accident though he wasn't physically injured. As a motorcyclist I don't have a lot a patience for for people who ride in such a matter whether they clear the gene pool or not.

Riding a motorcycle made me sooo much less tolerant of other peoples' bad driving habits. Of course, in this case, the rider was the problem--and its a fair argument that at least one of the adults in his life (be it his parents, the police, etc.) failed in addressing a known and dangerous situation.

Funny, I have contentious relationship with some of the off-road riders in my area--mostly kids, but not all--and mostly those who trash the local conservation area. Still, there's two young MX riders who drive very slowly and very conscientiously through our residential streets to get to the trails. They even wave when I'm out walking my dog. That respectfulness goes a long way for me. Another guy came off the trails last week on his quad and dogged the bumper of a car, revving his engine the whole way, because it was going too slow for him--as he drove illegally on a town road. Attitude is everything...

Damn, now I wish I could quote Dostoevsky!

Not IF done in the right context...ie. passing lane of an interstate highway, good visiblity, dry roads, light traffic, speed differintal not more then 10-20%....:cool:

irrelevant.

Last night at our men's club golf night a young kid of 16 years old riding his powerful crotch rocket in a quiet golf course neighborhood tried to pass a left turning car – possibly at 70 mph.

thread-jack over

then again, maybe not....

With a situation like this 16 y/o kid's death it is quite natural to joke to keep from getting too angry.

I know I fault the parents significantly. Evidently the kid was just not showing the required judgement on a consistent basis. My take on this is that the parents did not want to risk having the kid dislike them and so could not find the backbone to 'rent-up and securely impound the big toys. Too bad that because of this the kid doesn't see 17. I see my job as a parent as putting guardrails in place in order to keep my kids on safe roads (or off the roads, as the case may be). As they learn to crawl, walk, pedal, ride, drive etc the guardrails get wider and wider. Eventually, if I've done my job right and my kids show the required judgment... my guardrails are non-existant because my kids put their own into place for themselves. This poor kid's folks couldn't force him to have good judgment. They DID have the power to make sure they did not provide him with the instrument of his death. But they DIDN'T.