Note to New Members ×

Sierra Nevada conditions

Loc

I just got back from Northstar and Sugarbowl. In the morning it was crusty, a lot of hard pack that my Madd 170 ate up. My freeriding friends were cursing it but I loved every second:eplus2: By 10am it softened up and by 11am it was real slushy. After lunch I couldn't do much carving in the slurpee and switched to my Prior ATV for some relaxed cruising.

Of the two resorts Sugarbowl had more consistent conditions across the mountain. At Northstar I was testing my carving on hard pack on a diamond and suddenly lost an edge on the worst ice I've ever been on. I thought I broke my wrists - ugh.

Anyone been to Mammoth or June lately and have a report?

I wasn't up there this past weekend but I will be the next two. From what I hear, its not getting too warm so I the snow has been in reasonable shape, but it does get a little icy in the mornings. It looks like there is some weather headed to Mammoth next Monday so that should freshen things up a bit.

Hi Loc-

Nice meeting you the other day at Sugarbowl. I did see some of your tracks up on Jerome Hill - crisp and clean, looks like you were having a good time! Too bad the afternoon was so slushy.

The next day we went over to Boreal at the suggestion of my boys. Didn't have great expectations for the day but it turned out to be one of the best days I have had. The snow held up real well, softened up but never turned too slushy. There is a decent carving run on Lost Dutchman (next to the boardercross run). I also had a great time following my kids on the boardercross run (your ATV would rip there). The lift is old and slow but it gave my 51 year old legs a chance to recuperate between runs.

--Brian

Hi Loc-

Nice meeting you the other day at Sugarbowl. I did see some of your tracks up on Jerome Hill - crisp and clean, looks like you were having a good time! Too bad the afternoon was so slushy.

The next day we went over to Boreal at the suggestion of my boys. Didn't have great expectations for the day but it turned out to be one of the best days I have had. The snow held up real well, softened up but never turned too slushy. There is a decent carving run on Lost Dutchman (next to the boardercross run). I also had a great time following my kids on the boardercross run (your ATV would rip there). The lift is old and slow but it gave my 51 year old legs a chance to recuperate between runs.

--Brian

Good meeting with you as well. Too bad we didn't get a run together. I could've sworn those tracks were yours! :D Was Boreal crowded? I seemed to have picked the wrong time to come up - spring break.

Good meeting with you as well. Too bad we didn't get a run together. I could've sworn those tracks were yours! :D Was Boreal crowded? I seemed to have picked the wrong time to come up - spring break.

Mt. Rose was empty sat and sun and the snow was killer all day long. But don't tell anyone!