Note to New Members ×

New Carver Board Choice

scrapster

Well, I've had some good offers for a dedicated carving board that could take me through my first few years of learning. A few look interesting. Anyone care to weigh in? I'm 150lbs, East Coast rider, been snowboarding a long time, but just got back on hardboots seriously this year.

Sims Burner 162 (solid tail)

Donek FC1 163 (w/repaired core shot)

Hot Blast 176

Any number of Volkl RT Sl's

ummmm

how much you want to spend?

I'm not a fan of any of those boards

the small burners are not the same as the big ones

donek FC, ehh IMO better boards around

volkl, better boards around

I don't have anything you can try that will work for you but Gleb, ace and a couple other guys in the north east MIGHT let you try something out.

"better boards around" --feel free to name a few that you think would be appropriate.

I'm open as to cost. I'll probably try Dingbat's RT at some point--though that may very well be next season.

Would you suggest plunking down big $ when I'm not even sure what my preferences for a carving board are yet?

thanks

IME the Prior WCR 183 (glass) that I just picked up used in the classifieds is a great board... but not a great board to learn to carve on because you've gotta be hauling arse to get it to turn tight (and it will).

So I'd err on the side of short and not-so-stiff... something that you won't have to crank to 11 to get it turning.

In that same vein, I'd stay away from longer F2s, Doneks, Priors, etc. that are stiff. I wasted all last year trying to get an F2 Speedster RS 173 to turn. I'd also suggest narrower to wider because a narrow board will inherently cure you of the "in the toilet" heelside because it's hard(er) to ride that way. I know that the trend is toward wider board, and that's fine, but I think that there's value to standing on a skinny board.

Actually, a certain Madd 170 was great in that respect too (narrow AND soft-ish).:)

"better boards around" --feel free to name a few that you think would be appropriate.

I'm open as to cost. I'll probably try Dingbat's RT at some point--though that may very well be next season.

Would you suggest plunking down big $ when I'm not even sure what my preferences for a carving board are yet?

thanks

well, if you're willing to spend the easiest board to ride that I own is prior wcr metal the metal priors are real soft, that and the stubby are probably the friendliest boards I've had. also carve absurdly well.

if you go non metal, a coiler AM, madd 170 probably will give you the most bang for your buck. they both are really great carvers that are easy to manage.

I totally disagree with what he was saying about width, I like wide. easier to manage in bad conditions.

I totally disagree with what he was saying about width, I like wide. easier to manage in bad conditions.

Didn't say I didn't like wide or wide is bad. Said that there is value to riding on a narrower board from a technique perspective. Especially if you've spent a lot of time on softies, you will try to adapt that technique to hardboots. The two don't translate all that well, esp on the heelside. It's harder to "sit in the toilet" on a skinny board with steeper angles than a wider board. That was my point... that a skinny board (steep angles) forces beginning hardbooters into a whole different technique. That issue isn't really a concern for long-time hardbooters who are now moving back to wider boards... they've already got their technique sorted.

Would the Prior 4X4 be a decent, dedicated carver to learn on? I hear they're an easy ride. Folks seem to love 'em, but mostly for their "all condition" abilities. Frankly though, if things got messy, bumpy or deep, I'd probably just jump on my Dupraz--that's why I got it.

Would the Prior 4X4 be a decent, dedicated carver to learn on?

Very good beginner board. Easy to turn and forgiving. If you have the money, metal makes a seriously forgiving beginner board (if it is the right board to begin with). Used boards are ideal since you can test and resell for very little actual cost.

Shawndoggy and I have both followed the same path of buying lots of used boards from many builders, testing them, and then selling them. I have ended up on custom Coilers exclusively at the moment.

I agree with Bob that there are better boards than the ones you listed although some riders really love their Volkl RTs (I have never tried one). Let testing and personal preference be your guide.

My 3 cents.

I personally would not opt for a Volkl SL -- go with the GS models.. 168 , 173 or 178. All good stuff.

Bob Dea - have not talked with you for a while but I am curious as to what is so weak about a Volkl in your ever so lovely opiinion..:rolleyes:

Sims Burner 162 (solid tail)

Donek FC1 163 (w/repaired core shot)

Hot Blast 176

Any number of Volkl RT Sl's

For your weight I'd say any of them in the 160-163 range would be fine. I'd avoid going to a 176 to start with. Check e-bay German, there are usually some Hot boards (162-164) for sale there.