Note to New Members ×

Snow Performance Camp May 15-17

Miltie

Looks like a good opportunity to level up a few skill levels. It's on the expensive e side though. Is this camp ever held earlier in the season?

I've never seen it scheduled much earlier in the season at Mammoth.

I'm only speculating here, but it might be because they reserve a few ski runs and the mountain won't let them do that until the crowds have gone.

This actually is probably the earliest they have done it. The one I attended was in June (the month, not the mountain :) ).

You all should give it a shot. It is definitely worth the money and there are riders at all levels in attendance, even first time hardbooters, so don't be afraid that this might be over your head.

Neil, I am maxed out on vacation and strongly considering to attend the camp. Just waiting for some work schedule stuff to be finalized and then will investigate flights - hope to burn up some mileage. Schedule would be hectic though as I need to be back in Japan for some meetings on 5/20. Still have some gear/boards in LA so hope to travel light. Will contact you through work once I know the schedule.

Take care, Tom

You all should give it a shot. It is definitely worth the money and there are riders at all levels in attendance, even first time hardbooters, so don't be afraid that this might be over your head.

What was it like for you? I'm looking for a quantitative review if you have a minute :) For example, "after X years of hardbootin you got y technique down but after SP you finally could do z, and even alpha and omega!"

I'm trying to gauge to what levels my skill will improve. I've been doing the pencil drill and reaching for my boot cuff all season so angulation happens without thinking...most of the time. Turning dynamically is still hard and I have to really think about it. Cross under and cross throughs are sucky. Confidence levels go to the crapper in bad conditions. Think SP can address all of this in 3 days? Dammit I just want rip next season, especially if I buy the MVP pass. :eplus2:

The first time I went, I would say that I was low intermediate. Only 2 years of hardbooting and 4 years of snowboarding in total. The course not only helped because of the specific training and lessons, but the fact that you are surrounded by a group of people who are all focused on improving their riders.

The quality and level of expertise in the coaches is very high of course. I think its worth the investment if you are looking to bring your riding up a level.

Has anyone heard back from Snowperformance on this? I am ready to pay but they haven't replied to my emails.

I'll be at Mammoth the weekend before that (7-9) if anyone is around. Although I'm dirt poor these days so I may be doing mostly, or just, backcountry skiing up around Virginia Lakes or somewhere else close by. Hot tubbing will definitely be on the agenda.

For those looking to camp (Loc, others?), here's a link to a map showing a great place to camp for free. It is labeled as Fort FKNA on the google map. If you go to street view, there's a camper parked near the road right at the entrance (obviously that won't be there in May when you show up). There's plenty of free parking, its close to the road up to the hill and the village, its free, and its flat. There may still be some snow in May, but it will be manageable. If you want to have a fire, you need to get a permit from a ranger station. I've also marked the location of some of the hot tubs for those that are interested. If you don't know the etiquette of hot tubs, do some searching on the web before you show up.

Google Map of Fort FKNA - I think I even marked where to poach showers.

Oh, and snowperformance camps are great. There's an early season one up in Canada usually in early December.

I paid up for coaching only, and Gavin got back to me with confirmation that its on. Who's with me? Miltie? Loc?

Gavin emailed me also and said it's on. I haven't committed yet, but I'll know in the next week or two. That MVP pass is mighty tempting and brings the price of SP down to $500. Do you think being coached for 3 days will save me a season or two of flopping around trying to figure things out?

You can use your MVP as early as April 24, so it is probably a good way to get some solid usage out of it this season. Go for it man! Its a fair bit of cash to drop at once, but it will be worth it. You'll also have a bunch of good Donek sticks to demo as Sean will bring a number of them with him. :)

... You'll also have a bunch of good Donek sticks to demo as Sean will bring a number of them with him. :)

I emailed Sean about demo boards at the Snow Performance Camp and this is his reply yesterday:

"I don't know if snowperformance has a 147 pilot demo. You can contact them to see. We just finished some 147s today."

Doesn't sound like he will be there.

Yo Neil, Still in the travel planning phase. I am hoping to burn airline mileage but need to wait until April 1st when the surcharges drop like 90%.

My vacation is approved for the US side but getting a little grief on the Japan side. Hopefully they will grant my request.

Just attended a 1 day SG Camp in Japan last Friday that rocked so really looking forward to this camp at Mammoth.

Will keep you posted. Thanks! Tom

• 2 weeks later...

So far the list is:

1) nekdut - Neil

2) Miltie - Tom

3) mookihouse?

4) Hey John?

5) Loc - Loc? I really want to do this camp but I'm just holding out for the time being to gauge job security :o

Hey Neil, the last time you did this how many folks were taking part? And how many instructors?

I registered myself and a co-worker a few days ago for coaching only. We will probably stay at the June Lake Motel because the owners are cool and have treated us well over the years. Plus it's a nice drive to Mammoth while you enjoy your morning coffee. :biggthump

Neil, Any recommendations for wax during that time? Will be waxing up boards on 5/14 before we head up. Thanks! Tom