Note to New Members ×

What would you do?

cb0y1

I have a problem, I can't board midweek so I always get stuck with the weekend crowds. I'm sure I'm no the only one in this predicament but I only have the season pass for Breck, Keystone, and A-basin. I've managed to get the board out twice this year, the first time was alright, but yesterday there were so many people that when I almost had enough speed to get a turn in I got cut off from one direction and plowed into from another. This seems to be most of the time that this happens to me now so I'm thinking about selling out:eek:. For a long time I've wanted apline gear but now that I have is and cannot make it out on days that are good, I cannot get proficient enough to lay a good trench (I also think a Coil 165 is not long enough to support my weight.). I find myself skiboarding (short wide skis with good sidecut which carve very nice too) more and more since I can easily weave in and out of people and don't need to commit to a line. I just find it frusterating to have gear I rarely use and when I do I can't have fun when I do finally pull it out. So I figured I would ask,, What would you do? Sorry for the rambling.:sleep:

I have a problem, I can't board midweek so I always get stuck with the weekend crowds. I'm sure I'm no the only one in this predicament but I only have the season pass for Breck, Keystone, and A-basin. I've managed to get the board out twice this year, the first time was alright, but yesterday there were so many people that when I almost had enough speed to get a turn in I got cut off from one direction and plowed into from another. This seems to be most of the time that this happens to me now so I'm thinking about selling out:eek:. For a long time I've wanted apline gear but now that I have is and cannot make it out on days that are good, I cannot get proficient enough to lay a good trench (I also think a Coil 165 is not long enough to support my weight.). I find myself skiboarding (short wide skis with good sidecut which carve very nice too) more and more since I can easily weave in and out of people and don't need to commit to a line. I just find it frusterating to have gear I rarely use and when I do I can't have fun when I do finally pull it out. So I figured I would ask,, What would you do? Sorry for the rambling.:sleep:

I think a lot of us are in the same situation that you are in. I work a 9-5 job during the week and live in New York City, and that means that my best option is to get up to VT during the weekends to ride. VT crowds suck, mountains can get very crowded during the weekend with all kinds of people on all kinds of equipment going every which way, and many of whom have absolutely no clue about etiquette, right of way, or safety. I hear your frustration but there are ways around it:

1) Keep away from the primary lifts on the mountain, particularly during highly trafficked times, like 10:30am - 12:00pm or 1:30 - 2:30 pm.

2) Ride while other people are eating lunch. Eat while other people are riding. Get out early in the morning, and ride late in the afternoon. Early morning and late afternoon are the lowest trafffic points. Ride hard in the morning, take it easy in the afternoon when it gets crowded, and save some energy for later on in the day when people head for the lodge and go home.

3) Avoid funnel runs that lead directly to the main lifts.

4) If possible, stick to the diamond terrain ... obviously this is only an option if you can handle that terrain at your local mountain.

5) Stick to the slow lifts, and/or use the singles line.

Riding on crowded weekends is a pain, but there are ways to do it and still have fun.

My daughter does the ski team at our resort, so I have to have her there before the 1st chair. It sux getting up that early, but I do get a great parking place and I've found that the crowds are minimal between 8:30 and 10:00, even on the biggest holiday weekends. With a fast chair and minimal stops, that's 7-8 top to bottom runs before the crowds.

Then as it gets more and more packed I switch to less frequented runs. On the worst days I will put my skis on for a few runs.

This time of year, though, the crowds are getting smaller and smaller each weekend.

Even with the hoards of meatgates on most Vancouver weekends, I find you can still rip trenches if:

1. Get there early. On most bluebird weekend days I am at the tram station with the ski patrol at 0730. I can get between 2-3 hours of uncrowded riding in before the masses arrive. I'm usually off the hill by 1030-1100.

2. Use a shorter board. I can carve easier through weekend traffic on a 164 Oxygen than on a 172. Done properly, the stoke is still there, the carves just feel differnt on a shorter board.

3. Ride harder terrain as you skill level improves. When it starts to get crowded, I head for areas that have steep, moguls, or both. You can't get long radius carves in moguls, but mastering them on an alpine board is a challenge and satisfaction all its own.

4. Head for the trees. It will help you with your crossovers, and your gate racing.

5. If your hill has night skiing, then do your runbs at night mid week. Night riding really imporves your balance and edge control.

If you want it, you'll find a way....