Note to New Members ×

Custom board delam question ?

dave29

I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I am always reading about delam issues with custom boards(Coiler,Prior, etc..). I have always ridden Nidecker Tornado's and have never had a delam problem(4 different boards)and they're significantly less expensive then Coilers, Priors, etc.. I am looking to try out a new Metal WCR or the Schtubby but I am concerned about the delam issue. Thanks for all of your input.

Early metals boards were prone to problems. Metal boards built in the last couple of years seem to be durable and strong. For all manufacturers.

The early Prior Metals had issues. They took a chance and provided production metal boards first, in hindsight, before the construction kinks were resolved. This is one of the reasons that metals have a bad rap, but I am grateful that they were available to ride. I really loved my 183. We actually owned 4 of them early on and had no issues with delam. At this point, I expect the new Prior Metals construction is much improved.

Coiler Metals have had no issues that I have ever heard of and we have had several. Bruce even said in this post that

..... last season I had zero warranty issues so you can't argue with that.

That is impressive! If you are nervous, go with a Coiler. Bruce would take care of you if the board was defective.

My own personal experience says don't buy a used metal topped prior (i.e. no topsheet), no matter how good the deal.... could last a good long while, could last a day or two. If it's only a couple of days, well, those can be awfully expensive, even if you got a smokin' deal.

I'd buy a new metal coiler or (topsheeted) prior in a heartbeat.

Chris has moved the metal under the topsheet on the new Priors. Lotta people raving about them at SES. Couldn't find a WCR in the demo tent, they were always out. (As was the Schtubby) I think the early durability issues have been resolved. Prior, Donek, Coiler, hard to go wrong.

I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I am always reading about delam issues with custom boards(Coiler,Prior, etc..). I have always ridden Nidecker Tornado's and have never had a delam problem(4 different boards)and they're significantly less expensive then Coilers, Priors, etc.. I am looking to try out a new Metal WCR or the Schtubby but I am concerned about the delam issue. Thanks for all of your input.

huh?

that is a metal prior issue specifically, the new ones have topsheets and are fine I hear.

As they say , earlier model of PRIOR's had some problem . Actually my 1st WCR metal ( old one) also had a delam . But they sicerely gave me a support and I got another replacement board from them . ( Actually the replacement had also delam .....)

I got a new WCR metal in this season . It has a top sheet above titanal sheet

and It has no problem about its quality . Otherwise It gives me a awesome performance on snow slopes.

I think now we can give a creditbility for new PRIORs.