Note to New Members ×

Skis???

ken delrossi

Yes thats right, skis.

Had a question for all you carving folk. I rode alpine a lot of years and ride soft boots now... thats another story!

Looking for some skis to demo in 2 weeks, trust the opinions here. All mountain expert ski that does it all. I am 6'1" 190lbs 44 years old and still ski fairly aggressive. Ski Vermont, Colorado and France.

Some I want to try (opinions on them?)...

• Volkl AC30

• Dynastar 4x4

• K2 Recon

Also... length??? I used to ski 204-218, things have changed.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

My choice - and the ski I bought this year - Volkl Tigershark 12ft

you can try the 10ft - more of a slalom sidecut - this is a do everything ski. too narrow for deep powder, but kicks ass on everything the east coast can throw at it.

I am 6'0 220lbs, used to ski 203ish in the old straight skis...I have 175cm volkls and pretty comfortable on them. I will probably go back to a lighter weight twin tip next year just for chasing my son around, but this is a great all around ski. If you are looking for something wider, try the Grizzly in the same length. The only negative to these is they are system skis with Marker "biometric" (aka exploding toe) bindings.

BTW - if you get a chance, try the ones with the "powerswitch" - it is a little gimmicky but I could feel the difference

lotsa good beta over on my second favourite forum on the interwebs

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104129

most tgr members are real deal ski nuts and will give a true review, not some stuffed shirt smoke. Prob get some good laughs to boot.

I'd find some demos at local areas and try a bunch of stix you think you might like. good luck

The Atomic Crimson Ti. 86 under-foot makes for a versatile ski. Carves the ice coast great, but is also wide enough to have float-ability. This ski is actually quite light too, which is a nice chance from the Metron series. I've skiied it in both hard-pack icy conditions, and on a 15" powder day at Stratton and was thoroughly impressed both times.