Note to New Members ×

Snow Summit Updates

skipatroll

330/18 should open sometime. Got about 3-4 inches today. Ridiing is great. Yesterday, I left at 800 am to get my wife at LAX and got back at 700 pm. Came up thru Lucerne. Roads are good now but you need chains.

The reason I bought a Donek Metal is because of their two year warranty so no problems expected. Still like the 4WD for these soft days.

I am working at Bear tomorrow and will have Thursday off and freeride that day. Will be on the Donek and trying to figure out how to tame that beast.

Have to work on Friday and will not be off until the following Thursday and Friday I think.

I rarely get stuck with 35x12.50x17 tires on a lifted 2002 4wd Yukon but it is the others that block the road with poor driving and decision making. As a town that depends on tourism, we do not like to see the roads close but it is nice to have more of the mountain to ride when that happens.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AAron....is your dad coming up...if so let me know. My phone died today and I don't know if you called or not. I plan to be a Summit around 830 am so I can get a ticket for him at the patrol room. Just give me his name and I will write it up over the phone about 800am and you can pick it up at patrol.

Dennis, my pops won't be joining us tomorrow so don't worry on the ticket. Just got off the phone with my sheriff friend and he informed me that Hwy 18 won't be open until Friday afternoon. Terry and I are debating on what to do, either drive 38 up and back tomorrow or wait until Friday and take 38 up and hopefully they will have 18 open to drive down into the valley. Check this thread later for an update

Went up today (2-18-09).

HERO snow most of the day.

I went up with the tanker 192, TD2.5s, and Track 325s with yellow BTS.

awesomeness. I knew there was a reason i switched to hardboots in the first place.

Definitely the best carving conditions of the year.

330/18 was still closed. I came around the backside (huh huh ;)) up the 15N, bear valley rd, and then the 18. My brother lives pretty far north on the 15, so that was the faster way for me.

Heard the same about the Artic Circle. Sounds like maybe Friday night. They said they have about 30 slide areas to clear ...some as deep as 15-16 feet. On Frday thru Sunday I will be managing the patrol at Snow Summit so maybe I will see you guys then. After riding Weds as hard as I ever have, I am staying home on Thursday to do stuff around the house. Sorry I will miss you Terry and Aaron. PS I could see you guys from my house on chair 7 in the am...unmistakeable carving lines from 3/4 miles away

They are stilll working on 18 from Running Springs..closed at this time. In addition, North Shore Drive (38) from the dam to Fawnskin is closed due to a house getting ready to slide down the hill from snow and debris slides. Plan on 38 thru Redlands or 18 from Lucerne. Check with

http://socalmountains.com/roads.php

for the latest on these roads. Riding is good but it is definetely warmer today. (48 degrees at 10:30)

Sorry I have been able to ride with you guys but work issues have had me tied up for the last week. I will be around this weekend the 28th and the 1st in case anyone is up here. Snow is spring like but carveable and heavy

Dennis, there is a thread called March 1st. We have about 4 or 5 carvers coming up on Sunday, and I always have my camera :biggthump

Rain caused a hard frozen surface this am but the sun is out and is expected to be good riding (springlike) by about 10:30 today. Hoping the weather on Sat doesn't foul up Sundays ride. Looks like it could be more of the same as last night. Snow depth is great and when it softens there is about a 2-3 hour window of decent riding each day.

Hey Dennis!

Its raining down here in LA, any signs of new snow? or more rain?

We're you on the news today?? (friday) I woke up, turned on the news, and i saw a glimpse of a red skipatrol jacket and 2 dogs. And the reporter was at Big Bear.

Was up today and the conditions were quite good. Firm in the morning as you would expect, but softening up very quickly. Good carving conditions.

On a somewhat depressing note, I noticed that they were starting to gather up and put away the snow making guns today. I know it is getting a little late in the season, but I had hopes that since it is getting so cold at night they might make a little more snow. But I guess that is not going to happen now. Oh well, there is still a lot of snow up there!

Dennis, do you have a video clip from the program?? I would like to see it posted or maybe I can watch it at Summit one day. Let me know.

I didnt see much of it, but I'm sure you could go to KTLA website and search Bear Mountain. it was friday last week