Snow Summit Updates

skipatroll

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are making snow since Sunday night and conditions have improved dramatically since Sunday. In addition ,we got about 3 inches of natural snow on Sunday night. Looks like we will slow down in about 16 hours but we have a great base going. Temps are forecast to be no higher than 40's so carving should be great this weekend! Still have not gotten on that Prior 4WD so hope I can hang onto it until early next week. (Its in my office if you want it A.! )If not....my loss. Call me if you all get a chance to come up

Dennis

DEnnis, thanks for the update. I would think that the snow is going to stay good for awhile with the temps that we are experiencing. Looks like we might have a few riders up on Sunday over at Bear this time.

You can hang onto the 4wd, I won't be riding it for a bit. If I do need it, I will just return it back to your office when I am finished.

Gald to see that you got that avatar thing figured out, did you use the photobucket site to do it??

Used the tinypic.com website that Jack recommended. Said it did not upload but it magically happened. Picture is about 11 years old but is a fav for my dog that passed away

Thanks for the 4WD rental. I am at Bear Wed so I will get you an update on Silver Mt for riding...Jim's turf!

About one more week and I get the new Metal Donek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missed Terry today since I left my cell phone home. Snow was great on Tuesday and Weds. Today we had strong winds and the suface got a little windblown but still very carvable and fun. The wind is hitting hard but hopefully we wil make snow tonight. Did not make snow last night and Tuesday night we finished about 200 am. Not as long as we would have hoped for but we made a ton of snow during that time. Groomers tonite will make it great again and after the Santa Annas move out it should be excellent. Rode Bear yeterday and spent several hous on Exhibition (Chair 4) on epic carving snow.

PS ...rode the 179 Prior4WD today. GREAT RIDE...GOTTA GET ONE!

After Dennis' earlier report, I really wanted to take a vacation day and go to Bear on Wed. But I had a 2 hour conference call that I needed to attend.

Come in to work on Wed morning, and the damn conference call was re-scheduled. I was quite pissed.

Hopefully the conditions stay excellent over the weekend.

Dennis-

Decided today that I'm not going to play football next season (my little head smack on the 25th was a reminder that I need to stop the contact sports) :lol:

I can negotiate my way down most runs (not carving, but not in survival mode) at this point in time...so, I'm going to do OEC this summer, and hopefully be a Mountain Host at Mt. Baldy (since they are nice enough to take me :D) for a season, then potentially be an Aux the next season (2010-2011) with 2 years of OEC under my belt (I figure this makes the most sense so that when I need to be playing with blood, I've gone through the course twice :p)

If you want to work at Summit I can hire you as Mt Security with no first aid. Otherwise if you take ARC First Aid(EMT reconmmended) I can take you on staff as a volunteer. You get a seasons pass for you and family. Just need 14 days a season

You guys don't use OEC training at Summit? Do you accept it as an equivalent to the program that you use?

As I understand it, it's the standard for patrolling. I think NSP even developed it.

I'm not old enough to legally work, but Baldy WILL let me start the process of being a patroller, which is why I'm doing it there. Very low injury rate there (just a bunch of old guys talking about Stein Erickson! :lol:) and none of your common jib injuries. NSP says no patient contact till age 16, but my birthday is in October, so I'll be fine in that respect.

In 2 years I may be makin' turns wearing Red, I'd love to volunteer up there, plus I won't have anymore excuses not to come to Summit ;)

Googled ARC, if you're talking about the professional rescuer advanced first aid, that's a prerequisite to taking Outdoor Emergency Care anyway. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't OEC almost the exact same training as EMT but not the same certification?

No clue what Summit does, but Baldy has the "Mountain Host" program. The candidate program is more or less one in the same as Mountain Host.

That is essentially their job along with dealing with other crap (generally digging out after a storm; cleaning up the patrol room; providing coffee for the other patrollers; assisting nervous, timid, or otherwise stuck skiers)

I know the NSP requires you to take the 16 hours of American Red Cross professional rescuer Advanced First Aid, and the mountain does any other training necessary prior to the season. That's likely to be the "minimum" amount of training necessary to throw on a jacket and get free lift tickets. But why don't you want to go full bore and provide first response medical treatment?? That's the whole reason I want to get into patrolling. It's not about the tickets, the gear, or anything else, I want to find some kid with a tib/fib fracture with his foot facing the wrong way, pop him in a splint, and drag him down the mountain. I want to be the first one to give people a hand. I'd want to patrol if lift tickets cost me twice as much.

To be honest, the whole "resort" thing grosses me out. I don't really like knowing that I show up as a consumer, scrape some snow off the mountain, and then leave without contributing. It's like a personal fulfillment thing for me to want to patrol.

They say that things you hate the most in other people are issues you have yourself, I hate takers and love givers, and to know that I show up and contribute will make me feel a helluvalot better. :biggthump

Alright...back to designing my approach skis.

Not sure what you are talking about here you guys. This is a carving board and not a Patrol Board .I have been on patrol for 30 years. I am the director for Bear Mt Resorts and have been voted the outstanding patroller in the US so please understand what it is that you are saying on line. Do not talk poorly about any mountain or program! OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I am an OEC Instructor trainer and have been for 22 years. I know every patrol director in the state of California so stick to talking about carving and lay off patrolling! I am not happy to see these comments about patrol on a carving board!

Got a lot of wind last night but just a dusting of snow. Very windy and starting to cool down at 200 pm. Still 36 degrees. Expecting heavy snow tonite through Saturday. Sunday is expected to be clear with good snowmaking temps. Watching the storm on radar at the moment is showing is swinging North of us but I expect to see it drop...we will see!

Yep...got the Freecarve II 167 to replace my 163 Volkl RT SL board. Need that shorter board for patrol work. Next board will be a 179 Prior 4WD. Looking to get that in August when Prior release their 2010 models/topsheets. Got the Donel Metal graphics on the topsheet. Can't wait to see it!