Note to New Members ×

Colorado Snow

paappraiser

By "good tires" I mean good dedicated winter tires - like Blizzaks or similar with substantial tread left. They make a HUGE difference. I have a set of summer and winter tires for my cars on wheels. It takes me less than an hour to swap out twice a year.

I know that you can't request winter tires on a rental car but for a personal vehicle, it makes a lot of sense.

It's like having 2 pairs of shoes. You will eventually wear out 2 pairs of shoes whether you wear one pair out & then buy another or have 2 pairs on hand and swap them out as appropriate.

One of the worst situations is when someone has a 4WD vehicle with bad tires. You can go pretty well but you can't steer or stop any better than a 2 wheel drive car. Enough go power to get you into real trouble.

If its really slick outside, the 1st thing that should be compromised is your ability to go - not your ability to stop or steer.

I've lived in Colorado most of my life and I've never owned a 4wd. Good tires and good driving skills are what is most important.

Long before 4WD will do you any good, you'll be stuck behind miles of traffic of people with bad tires and bad driving skills.

The commercials showing SUVs blasting through snow banks are a way to sell 4WD. I've never seen where that did anyone any good in real life. What usually happens on I-70 is people with 4WD think they are invincible, get going too fast for conditions and wind up upside down on the side of the road.

bingo!!

I personally find open snowed over parking lots in the winter and practice, braking, getting the tail to slide out and recovery, and full on rotation.

many times the only thing 4wd does is make you spin 4 wheels in stead of 2

I personally find open snowed over parking lots in the winter and practice, braking, getting the tail to slide out and recovery, and full on rotation.
Yeah, I do too. Lately doing this I've discovered that the new Yokohamas I bought from Big O are fine for drive/braking traction, but not too good for sideways traction, compared to other tires I've had on the car.

Which got me wondering: How does one pick a good tire? I can pick a tire for mud, but I don't know how to pick one for packed snow and ice. What do you look at, the tread, siping, or ???

Asking the guy at the tire store is like asking the guy at Radio Shack about electronics.

Edit: Thanks for the link Corey (below), I'll take a look.

My wife and I stayed in Glenwood springs last year for SES. (hotels are WAY cheaper!) Most days it was a short drive but we got stuck twice on the way back to the hotel over the week when the road was closed for accidents. We just stopped for supper at whatever town we made it to, by the time we were done the road was re-opened.

We witnessed one vehicle per day on it's side or roof or way out in the ditch in that relatively short drive - no idea how they managed to do that as the roads were never that bad. We were in a rental FWD with all-season tires. The snow clearing crews do an amazing job on that stretch of highway.

There are tons of reviews at www.tirerack.com and even a full-on snow tire test.

Corey, the tests and videos are just what I was looking for, thanks. The performance of the Bridgestone Blizzaks is pretty impressive. I might get a set of those if I can find a spare set of wheels for my Forester.

Good tip about Glenwood springs, my wife and I are looking seriously at another trip out to CO and cheaper would be a lot more do-able.

If you book early enough you can get $69 rooms in Glenwood Springs! We splurged on the kitchette suite for $99/night. :) Also, don't buy lunch at the hill. Your head will spin at the prices!

actually you should try these, id used them when they get the 17" in

http://www.greendiamondtire.com/concept.html

A local guy bought some of those for ice racing - they were slightly better than an all-season tire and a bunch slower than a true winter tire. If I remember correctly, they're actually re-treads from used tire carcases. That makes me nervous.

Note that 'good' winter tires last about 1/2 to 3/4 as long as an all-season in identical conditions. I feel it's worth it for the added safety.

If you book early enough you can get $69 rooms in Glenwood Springs! We splurged on the kitchette suite for $99/night. :) Also, don't buy lunch at the hill. Your head will spin at the prices!

A local guy bought some of those for ice racing - they were slightly better than an all-season tire and a bunch slower than a true winter tire. If I remember correctly, they're actually re-treads from used tire carcases. That makes me nervous.

Note that 'good' winter tires last about 1/2 to 3/4 as long as an all-season in identical conditions. I feel it's worth it for the added safety.

were they broken in?

• 2 weeks later...