Note to New Members ×

New boots - concerns

Kex

So UPS just dropped off my first pair of hardboots today(yay!) that I bought used here on BOL.

They are DEELUXE Indys and are in great condition, but after trying them on and snapping them into my bindings, I noticed something that concerns me.

The concern I have is regarding the connection between the deeluxe boots and my f2 bail bindings. It seems like the bails are too wide for both the front and back of the boots. I'm concerned that the inexact fit could, in a worst case scenario, cause the boot to pop out of the binding while riding. Both the front and back bails seem to be too wide for the boot, and their is a few millimeters of space between the bail and the boot(about a centimeter in the back).

2jaynbs.jpg

epngjd.jpg

ej7hvp.jpg

Is this just the way bail bindings are supposed to fit? I don't have enough experience hardbooting to know this, but when I've rented gear before, I dont remember seeing gaps like that. My main concern is in a situation where the boot torques or there is a lateral force on the boot that could cause it to pivot. I can tighted the bindings of course, but this does not help close the gaps at all.

I have read this:

http://www.alpinecarving.com/weld/

Which, if it would be a problem, is a possible solution, however I don't want to have to do something like this if its possible to avoid.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks

IMHO F2 bails fit the AF shell (including Indy, Suzuka, Track700) better than any other bail out there... including TD2 and TD3. You should see the old Catek WC with Raichle/ Deeluxe boots.. that was a nightmare... my binding angles were always +- 5 degrees even with them cranked so tight they were making the bottom of the boot arc!

I guess you have to be careful with metal toeclips! I hear bad noises from my Burtons, with not even close to enough tension to flex the boot.

Those old Catek WCs were burly... very burly. My shins are rattling and aching just thinking about riding with them on bumpy hardpack.

My too stiff (and too much fun) Coiler, race ski boots, and those Cateks. How about that for a setup.

Are the newer Cateks that much different? They seem to be the same fundamental design.

I dunno how they compare feel wise, I haven't ridden the OS2. I rode the OS1 step-ins which obviously didn't have bail issues, but in other ways were just as burly.