Note to New Members ×

Impressions on new Fintecs

Algunderfoot

Maybe I'm not skilled enough with the step-ins yet, having only used them about 4 days, but they dont' seem much faster or more convenient to me. Clipping in is a bit easier and faster, but not much. I still need to stop to step into them. The only advantage is that I don't have to bend down, but that's not a big deal.

Unclipping actually seems easier with standard bindings. Just bend down and flip up the toe lever. With the step-ins I need to push my boot down to get them to smoothly release, and there really isn't any difference between bending down to grab the intec handle or bending down to undo the toe lever.

You will get to where you can clip in while gliding off of the lift.....usually. As far as getting out.....I totally agree :) (but it's 6" less bending down so that's something, right?)

I have a set of Fin-tec and I love the design . I am riding them with Cateks with aluminum recievers (steel bomber ones on order) and found that the heels ice up considerably to the point that I cannot even scrape them off on the stomp pad. I do use the receiver top now but never had to do that with the F2 Heels. I has been mild out also (hovering just under or over freezing.)

Dont get me wrong, I love the heels but was wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

Maybe I'm not skilled enough with the step-ins yet, having only used them about 4 days, but they dont' seem much faster or more convenient to me. Clipping in is a bit easier and faster, but not much. I still need to stop to step into them. The only advantage is that I don't have to bend down, but that's not a big deal.

Unclipping actually seems easier with standard bindings. Just bend down and flip up the toe lever. With the step-ins I need to push my boot down to get them to smoothly release, and there really isn't any difference between bending down to grab the intec handle or bending down to undo the toe lever.

I second the motion about practice will yield results. I can't tell you how many glares all the little jibbers throw at me as they sit in the snow freezing their collective azzes.

I find that putting a little more weight on the back heal just as I try to release gets the job done for me, remember lube is your friend.

Fastech buckles, about 30" of 3/4" webbing and a plastic Black Diamond Biner run through the zip of my pants gets me into the lift line without even bending over. That's not even mentioning the fact that I can stand anywhere on the slope and release while waiting for others, or get out of a dicey off-piste foray without getting a mouthful.

Been skiing with a bunch of Telemarkers (whom I sometimes refer to as "TELEGROOMERS" for their lack of testosterone in refusing to hit the bumps and trees), and never fail to be off the lift and skiing before they even get to the start of the slope. Always click in on the last kick before heading downhill.

You will get to where you can clip in while gliding off of the lift.....usually. As far as getting out.....I totally agree :) (but it's 6" less bending down so that's something, right?)
It's a lot more difference than 6". I can reach the handle by just slightly bending my knees, with no risk of upsetting my balance or anything. The toe clip is more than a foot lower and a few inches forward, it's a much deeper knee bend or bending over at the waist to reach it, risking losing your balance. Furthermore, if I'm not careful with my lower angles, the clip can get flipped over the edge and dig into the snow.

Where this system really shines in my book is on long flats. Step out and skate for a while without worries of the toe clip digging in, as soon as you get a little downhill, step in smoothly without stopping or risking catching an edge at slow speed. Beautiful.

I'm kinda with Brad...which is most definitely NOT to dis the Fintecs! :) I just glide off the lift (or glide up to the lift), bend over and quickly/easily flip my toe bail and I'm off!

I guess for me, the extra "persnicketyness" of the Fintec/Intec design makes want to keep it simple. :) (But hey, maybe someday I'll become a convert!)

Scott